It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
(male)

Hepifighter HB User
My hepatites B detection report. Assistance needed.

I am 29 year old asian male. I Donated blood recently and my blood report detected hepatites B possibility.

Report mentioned.
Non reactive for HIV1, HIV2, VDRL, Malaria.
Reactive for HBsAG and HBcAB
test method ECI technique
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I havent had any symptoms for Hepatits B and I am healthy.I was never infected by jaundice and my parents dont have history of hepatites.
On consultation doctor recommended following test and report were as follows.

Blood Test Report

Hepatitis B antibodies,Serum = Non reactive
, Value 1.257
Hepatitis B antigen Serum = Non reactive Value 0.93

Testmethod - Micro particle Enzyme Immuno Assay Electochemicalluminescence
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultrasound Test Report

Ultrasound test for USG Upper Abdomen test
- Liver, Gall Bladder,Kidney were all found to be healthy and fine in the test.
No CBD dialation
Urine test results were also normal.
Physical examination by doctor also cleared.

My doctor on 2nd consultation suggested No Hepatites B detection since all my tests were normal. Dr suggested retesting for HBsAG detection for precaution.

Further Blood Test Report -

Positive for HBsAG detected by Immunochromatography.Pathologist
Recommended confirmation by ELISA method with neutralization.

Now I am really puzzled if I am really infected with Hepatites B or not with my last blood report ? What does my above health report sound like? Do i need to take another detection test by Elisa method for confirmation ?

Looking forward for advice and counselling, Iam hoping iam not infected.

The following user gives a hug of support to Hepifighter:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Hepifighter For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
(female)

Dapper HB User
Re: My hepatites B detection report. Assistance needed.

Positive for HBsAG (hepatitis B surface antigen) means either acute of chronic infection.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dapper:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dapper For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: My hepatites B detection report. Assistance needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepifighter View Post
I am 29 year old asian male. I Donated blood recently and my blood report detected hepatites B possibility.

Report mentioned.
Non reactive for HIV1, HIV2, VDRL, Malaria.
Reactive for HBsAG and HBcAB
test method ECI technique
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I havent had any symptoms for Hepatits B and I am healthy.I was never infected by jaundice and my parents dont have history of hepatites.
On consultation doctor recommended following test and report were as follows.

Blood Test Report

Hepatitis B antibodies,Serum = Non reactive
, Value 1.257
Hepatitis B antigen Serum = Non reactive Value 0.93

Testmethod - Micro particle Enzyme Immuno Assay Electochemicalluminescence
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultrasound Test Report

Ultrasound test for USG Upper Abdomen test
- Liver, Gall Bladder,Kidney were all found to be healthy and fine in the test.
No CBD dialation
Urine test results were also normal.
Physical examination by doctor also cleared.

My doctor on 2nd consultation suggested No Hepatites B detection since all my tests were normal. Dr suggested retesting for HBsAG detection for precaution.

Further Blood Test Report -

Positive for HBsAG detected by Immunochromatography.Pathologist
Recommended confirmation by ELISA method with neutralization.

Now I am really puzzled if I am really infected with Hepatites B or not with my last blood report ? What does my above health report sound like? Do i need to take another detection test by Elisa method for confirmation ?

Looking forward for advice and counselling, Iam hoping iam not infected.
Hi Hepifighter,

So yes, it looks like you do have a chronic hepatitis B infection. This is a very common thing in people from certain parts of India, Vietnam, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. etc. where Hepatitis B is endemic.

You were likely infected with Hepatitis B either vertically (i.e. from your mother when she was pregnant with you) or when you were a young child. Most people do NOT have symptoms of Hep B, so the fact that you've never been jaundiced doesn't mean anything. When adults pick up the virus, they tend to completely clear it within 6 months, but the story is different with children/neonates who are infected. Kids this age tend to house the virus in the system with no ill-effects and no immune attack against the virus. This often lasts until the mid to late 20s when all of a sudden the immune system wakes up and decides it no longer wants the virus around, and it starts to attack it. This is when one can get hepatitis and show signs of acute liver disease, though it can also be asymptomatic. So the interesting thing about Hepatitis B is that much of the damage it does to the liver doesn't happen from the virus itself, but from the body's immune attack upon it!

When this happens, there are a few long-term possibilities:

1. The person starts attacking the virus when they're aged in the mid to late 20s, and completely clear it (rare).

2. The person attacks it with clinical hepatitis which clears, but then continues to happen over and over again (often asymptomatically). These people are at the highest risk of progressing to cirrhosis. Additionally, levels of virus remain in the blood so the person is infective.

3. The person attacks the virus, brings it down to a low level and keeps it there without any subsequent inflammation in the liver. These people are chronic carriers but are not infective.

4. The first time the person has inflammation it is so severe the person goes in to liver failure. This is termed fulminant liver failure. Fortunately this is rare.

It is important to try to pick up people who are in the third category because you can often treat them and try to prevent the recurring hepatitis and progression to cirrhosis.

In your case, it's hard to know the time line. How old are you?

It is VERY VERY VERY VERY important you are seen by someone who is versed in liver medicine whether it is a hepatologist, gastroenterologist or general internist. A family doctor should NOT be managing you. The second thing is, even if you don't require treatment for your Hepatitis B, you should be screened with liver ultrasounds when you turn 40 as there is a risk of liver cancer with ANYONE who has a chronic infection with Hepatitis B, and this can be picked up very early with routine ultrasounds.

I can answer any questions you have, but I urge you to speak to your primary care physician, and make sure you get a referral to a center where there are liver doctors.

Last edited by harka; 04-05-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Sorry, I see that you said you're 29.

The following user gives a hug of support to harka:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to harka For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread