It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

labvamp HB User
can your urine get dark when infected with HIV

can your urine get dark when infected with HIV

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: can your urine get dark when infected with HIV

When you say dark urine, do you mean urine that is a more deep yellow, like when you are dehydrated, or dark meaning it is coke coloured?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

labvamp HB User
Smile Re: can your urine get dark when infected with HIV

cgranulomatis,

Thanks for replying. No, my urine isn't like when your dehydrated, the deep gold yellow, it the color of tea. Approx. the same color as when I was infected with Hepatitis C.
To clarify, I'm a Phlebotomist. I have had a couple of incidence over the past 6 months where I had a centerfuge with a patient's blood that had both hep C and HIV explode in my face. I contracted the Hep C, and the doctor is worried that I have also been exposed to the HIV.(wonderful, right??!!)
I was just curious because my urine cleared up with the Hep C a while back, and now it's back....
Thanks for your help!
labvamp:

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: can your urine get dark when infected with HIV

Hi there,

Whoa you've been through a lot! So just to clarify, did you contract Hep C from the blood splashing in your face? Didn't your occupational health department test you for Hep B and HIV as well?

Tea coloured urine IS definitely concerning, but it is not something that's necessarily linked to HIV. It's usually to do a pigment in the urine which can be as simple as the pigment from beets if you eat a lot of them, to something more sinister like muscle breakdown or a large amount of blood. There are certain types of diseases secondary to Hepatitis C (like cryglobulinemia) which can give you blood in the urine. Have you been really ill recently? Another possibility is IgA nephropathy.

I would take your complaints to someone trained in internal medicine and definitely let them know of your recent diagnosis of Hep C.

Closed Thread