It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
(male)

ckc27 HB User
Any research on glass of wine per day and Hep C?

Does anyone know if there has been actual research that shows that one or two glasses of red wine (or possibly a beer or two) per day is bad for someone with Hep C. It certainly doesn't seem to be bad for someone's liver who doesn't have the disease, so what is there about the actual disease that a glass or two of red wine would cause further damage. Maybe since it's possible for someone to overdo it with alcohol, then wind up with cirrhosis of the liver, then doctors just assume that any alcohol is not good.

I think it's probably easy for doctors to just go along with the usual school of thought and say that there should be absolutely NO alcohol when you have Hep C. I mean, it's not like your doctor(s) have done actual testing on the subject (or have they). Maybe they're just repeating what they've read or heard. Besides, they're going to tend to be on the safe side when it comes to giving advice.

So maybe our liver, when diseased with Hep C, is capable of handling small amounts of alcohol at a time. With small amounts of red wine per day seemingly being instrumental in giving people longer, healthier lives, maybe it could actually benefit someone with Hep C, instead of harm them.

As you can probably tell, I sure don't want to completely give up red wine since there does seem to be proven benefits, but I certainly will give it up if a convincing argument against it can be found in journals or elsewhere concerning Hep C.

By the way, I was told when trying to give blood in '95 that I had the antibodies for Hep C. The doctor, who did some test a month later, said I did have Hep C, and said something about something being in the millions (viral load I now presume), and I haven't thought twice about it since (foolish, I know).

I'm now 50 years old and feel way better than I have in a long while. (Actually, I'm pretty certain I feel better because of taking probiotics a few years back which got rid of a Candida bacteria overload, IMO). I've been drinking on and off since the Hep C diagnosis. During the drinking times, it may only be one, sometimes two, times a week when I may drink 8 - 10 beers, especially when playing golf, along with one or two glasses of wine at night - maybe three nights out of the week.

I'm willing to cease with the 8 -10 beers once or twice a week since that much alcohol can't be good for any reason, but would really like to stay with a glass or two of red wine per day for health purposes.

Could someone please point me to some solid research on this subject. I haven't been able to find anything. By the way, I suppose it's time to get back to the doctor and see how many millions I'm up to now. Very, very grateful, Chris.

Last edited by ckc27; 07-10-2009 at 05:41 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ckc27:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ckc27 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
(female)

star_light221 HB User
Re: Any research on glass of wine per day and Hep C?

Hi Chris
My friend who is now 56 years old contracted hep c when he was 19.
He also has so many parts per million that his doctor told him means that he has had hepc and now has the hepc antibodies in his blood so many parts per million. My friend read your post after i told him about your question regarding red wine consumption and hepc and he said he read a serious research article that claimed that half a glass of RED WINE was very benefitual to the liver but anymore actually causes more damage.
cheers star

The following user gives a hug of support to star_light221:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to star_light221 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
(male)

ckc27 HB User
Re: Any research on glass of wine per day and Hep C?

star, Thanks for you and your friend's help. Talk about savoring a 1/2 glass of red wine... lol.

The following user gives a hug of support to ckc27:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ckc27 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread