It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
(male)

erk HB Usererk HB User
Should people with HepC take antibiotics?

I have had HepC for about 40 years and am finally getting around to ask about how antibiotics effect, (or is it affect), the liver.

I recently had some dental surgery and the dentist prescribed a couple of antibiotics and it got me wondering if they are hard on the liver.

Does anyone have any info concerning antibiotics and the liver?

Thanks,
erk

Last edited by erk; 12-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
(male)

Guardian1 HB UserGuardian1 HB UserGuardian1 HB UserGuardian1 HB User
Re: Should people with HepC take antibiotics?

I doubt that taking short courses of antibiotics will have any significant effects on the liver. You are probably more in trouble if you take antibiotics as a matter of course for every ailment that comes along, like some people do. I, personally, have problems "pre-medicating" for dental work. My dentist doesn't even suggest it anymore. They used to, but I think that they realize that using antibiotics in "maybe" situations is more problematic than not using them at all.

Last edited by Guardian1; 12-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
(male)

MichaelM50 HB User

I would be more worried about tylenol and prescription drugs then antibiotics, I don't think there is a problem my liver dr, had me on antibiotics several times this past year cause of sinus infections and a bad case of shingles. It's a good idea to take them if you need them or you can have an infection that can get out of control.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

Pooderdog HB User

NO, no antibiotics, vaccines ever. I too have it but fought it off and only have the antibody. But i still will never again have a vaccine such as the flu one and was told not to take antibiotics, pain meds, or tranquiizers.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
(male)

I took an antibiotic recently for strep throat. I rarely take pain meds (tylenol). My doctors say that the flu vaccines are irrelevent to the Hep-C cure and I have taken the standard flu virus vaccine. The strep was relieved, my viral load is undetectable and I have noticed no ill effects otherwise. I rarely take Xanax to relax, and a low-dose sleeping pill at night.

The meds are there for a purpose. Abusing them is dumb. Look at interferon and ribavirin. Those are really nasty, but we are taking them for a reason, too. Of course, we could "tough it out" and die sooner.

I'd prefer to live as long and with the highest quality of life that I can. I would like to enjoy some retirement, with my wife of 32 years, in a few years, and I want to see my kids continue to grow, and maybe someday have grandchildren.

I'll risk the meds.

Last edited by Guardian1; 01-15-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
(female)

Pooderdog HB User

Risk it then. The meds I mentioned and the antibiotics and vaccines can shoot your viral load up or if you are undetectable they can cause it to come back. For me, I will never put that stuff into my body for fear of Hep. C returning. Or harming my liver.
I would never use Ribivirn or InterFEARon. I don't care if they would save my life. THEY ARE MURDER and make you either shoot yourself or someone else. I would rather live a few yrs. without them than go through the hell on earth they do cause and live for several more yrs.
I am lucky I never had a viral load. My body threw off the virus. I only have the antibody. I can live with that. But must be serious abt it and not put meds in my body.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
(male)

Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread