It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Hep C in Remission but have questions

I have had Hepatitis C since 1991. I did the interferon tx w/o results but I went into remission around 2000 I think. Can I still transmit Hep C to others? I have been told my liver can no longer filter toxins. I only stopped drinking for good 2 1/2 years ago. It will be my 20th year to have this disease next year and I want to know what that can mean for me. Any info about post remission greatly appreciated. Thank you, Searchin

The following user gives a hug of support to Searchin:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Searchin For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
(female)

Airforce Mom HB User
Re: Hep C in Remission but have questions

Congrats on quitting drinking!!! I still struggle with social events but hardly drink otherwise.

I think I got Hep C in the late 70's, from a blood transfusion after a car accident. I had it for about 20 years before I even knew about it and drank regularly as I was a bartender. I gave birth to a Hep c free healthy baby boy in 1989. I guess about 10 years ago was when I was first diagnosed and started the interferon and ribavirin therapy which I was on for only 3 months because my doc said it wasn't working. I had a extremely high viral load in the billions and was genotype 1A. My liver was functioning normally but I had slight bridging and scarring.

I tried to just forget about it for a few years which was impossible and got up the courage to go once again to a different gastro and pretty much insisted that he treat it more aggressively as I handled the sides really well. He jacked up the daily dose of the ribavirin pills with 3 more and I still didn't feel all that bad. Even with a off the chart viral load in the beginning, I tested virus free 3 months later. My gastro was in shock because he didn't really give it much hope and said I was a success story. This was 4 years ago and have been clear defiantly for 3 years and know I over due to get tested again.

About your liver not filtering toxins...I was never told that but researched a bunch and diet is extremely important. You need to only eat liver friendly foods that are easy to process by the liver because the less strain you put on it gives it a better chance of doing it's other functions. Also, the more natural the better because as we all know, most foods are full of chemicals, preservatives and tons of other things you can't pronounce. Red meat especially is very hard on a compensated liver. You can google these foods that are better and I'm sure you know about all that water we are suppose to drink Vitamins are important but should only take the the smallest dose possible and better yet, try to get all that you need from your food. Too many supplements can be toxic on a compensated liver

About transmitting the virus even in remission... this is only my opinion but the Hep C virus isn't all that easy to transmit as they thought when they first finally gave it it's name and although it can be transmitted during sex under perfect conditions, isn't considered a STD any longer by the majority of health care professionals. Common sense tells you not to have unprotected sex during your period but again, there would have to be a entry point for the virus such as a cut or scratch on your partner. Anal sex is the most risky as it can cause tiny breaks in the skin that you cant tell are there and the potential for a blood to blood transfer is there. I've never heard of it being passed by kissing but guess it would be possible if both of you had bleeding gums. The virus doesn't live outside the body for very long so no way your going to infect your toilet seat but just use caution not to share razors, nail clippers or anything that can create a cut. Also, I had a healthy baby

Hope this helped some and good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to Airforce Mom:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Airforce Mom For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread