It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

spaceygal HB User
I have hep c and am prescribed methadone

I found out I have Hep c about 2 years ago, I was already being prescribed Methadone for chronic back pain. My doctor routinely does my blood work and after a 2 years it came back with high levels of what ever it is in your liver count. My doctor said it wasn't "through the roof" or anything, but high enough to do some other test, which was a hep test. And it came back that I had Hep C. I tried to read everything i could find on methadone while doing hep c treatment, I kept finding things that said it wouldn't interfere with treatment. So I was very excited that my doctor wasn't going to tell me I had to quit my methadone. BUT he also pointed out that no it didn't interfere with treatment, but I wasn't doing treatment for the hep c, so he advised me that I needed to live a calm, healthy eating, no smoking, no drinking, and no stress life style the best I could. Well I smoke and haven't quit, I lost my husband to a heart attack out of the blue, he was only 45, so the stress free living flew out the window, also the healthy eating, I just don't eat much and not regularly. I was drinking but have curbed that. I feel fine I guess, I'm sad alot, I don't have a good sleep routine but I want to know how much the methadone itself effects my liver. I am 45, look young for my age and don't seem to have noticeable fatigue, so how much should I worry about the methadone I put in my system? I take 70 mgs a day. Any words from anybody would maybe help me see the importance of my disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
(male)

methadoneuser HB User
Re: I have hep c and am prescribed methadone

Hello hepc. I am fairly young to> I am only 24 and have chronic HEP C for over 6 years already and been on methadone for the whole amount of time. I also have had my doctor tell me the same bs story. quote (methadone is the "Safest" drug for the issue. What scares me though is I consulted my doctor that wasnt my dope doctor. (if u get my drift) and he said that thier is no studys proving that it doesnt hurt your live just as bad as anything else, obviously not as bad *** taking a crap load of loratabs or the weaker pain killer filled with tylenol eating liver reacters but I would get a second or maybe even a third opinon. Like i said i'm onl 24 and have seen SIGNIFICENT changes in my health since i was diagonised. I am not writing this for a scare response hun but I would honestly do some research b4 u completly trust that one doctor. I have lost a couple back teeth, I am always tired and have absoultly NO energy EVER. So I genuinly feel that something doesn't add with what they are telling me. I wish you the best of the Luck like I said it has taken about 6 years to catch up with me but my viral load has succifinitly increased because of the methadone so I hope that I am wrong for your sake and mine. Just be carefull and make sure you at least do some research. I go o a methadone clinic and here story's like this from people there every day that contracted it from, well lets just say to be nice contracted it on their "Own accord" but that doesnt make it right for them to lie to their patients. Thank you. I hope this helped at all.. SN(methadoneuser)

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

spaceygal HB User
Re: I have hep c and am prescribed methadone

Thank you so much for your input and advise!! I can't believe your only in your 20's, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this kind of stuff at such a young age! I have been through so much in my life. I come from a good family up bringing, my grandma always said I come from "good genes". Fortunatley, she was raised in another era, and doesn't understand the "drug addicted" generation!! Recentely I lost my husband to a heart attack, at 45, no prior illnesses, no reason to believe he was sick, and BAM, he was gone! Now I am trying to live my life alone and dealing with the hep and being prescribed methadone, which my dr said I'd probably be on the rest of my life! Am I on it because I have a illness that requires it on a live or die situation, you can probably figure out that one!! But is it easy to give it up, live or die, unfortunatly no! It is life to me! I look forward to conversing with you more if thats ok with you!!! Thanks so much!!

Closed Thread