It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

sunshinec HB Usersunshinec HB User
Hep C test came back positive

I'm so glad I found this message board. Here's my story:

I went to the doctor for some routine STD tests last week. My Hep C test came back positive. I've been through a range of emotions ever since I found out - anger, depression, sadness, hopelessness, fear, and the "why me" question.

Background about me - I just turned 34 (how's that for a birthday present!), I've never used intravenous drugs/needles. I do have two tattoos, but they were done in a (supposedly) reputable shop. I've never had any blood transfusions either.

So my theories on how I may have picked this up -- either via sexual contact, or through the nail shop (I've read that transmission there is possible). I do recall going to the nail shop a time or two and my cuticles being cut and bleeding.Have any of you ever heard of people contracting hepatitis via a nail shop? Since I keep reading that sexual transmission is rare, this is the only logical straw I can draw about how I got this disease.

Yesterday, the doctor ran a secondary set of tests - they said they wanted to make sure it's not a false positive, and probably to determine what strain of Hep C I have. I should have the results back by Friday or Monday.

I'm reading about the treatments and I'm terrified. Because I've been overweight most of my life, I routinely get physicals every year - and my liver enzymes have always been normal. Right now I haven't knowingly had any symptoms. I exercise regularly (due to my weight issues) and try not to eat many processed foods. I'm hoping that my health habits will help if I do indeed have Hep C. I will admit that I've had a few weekends where I may have drank a little too much, but I am cutting out drinking altogether since I may now have this disease.

So right now, I sit here, scared, mad, and disappointed in myself...and asking why me? I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

Thanks for reading,
sunshinec

Last edited by sunshinec; 05-11-2011 at 08:58 AM.

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: sunshinec
cricket2 (07-28-2011), csteinfels (09-06-2011), dimond28 (10-02-2011), finet5466 (07-09-2011), mech123 (07-20-2011), rockhead (08-26-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Hep C test came back positive

Well, on the bright side, Hep C is much less damaging in females than it is in males, especially before menopause (estrogen is thought to be a liver-protective factor). In fact, most women won't even start to have any liver damage until after menopause, if ever.

And while I've heard treatment is pretty bad, they're coming out with new things all the time: just today, the FDA approved Boceprevir (brand name Victrelis, by Merck) for the treatment of Hep C.
When used in combination with the standard drugs (interferon and ribavirin), this new drug Boceprevir has been shown to nearly double the cure rate.
It looks like, with this new drug, nearly everyone can be cured.
It's even proven effective in patients who have failed standard drug treatment in the past.

I know the side effects of treatment can be bad, but maybe as time goes on they'll come up with new drugs that don't have such severe side effects.
You don't have to receive treatment this minute. You've got time to think it over.

Sorry you received this diagnosis. Best of luck to you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kali333:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
coldfeelings (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
(male)

coldfeelings HB User

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish I could say I have lived as clean a life style as you, but I can say with confidence that you contracted the Hep C at the nail salon. Any tattoo parlor today is far to regulated to pass something like this along. Even if an artist, as I am has Hep, there is no chance of cross contamination if proper universal precautions are adherd to. I recently discovered I'm infected with the virus and have been since 1983 most likely. I have tattooed professionaly for 25 years and never have I had any client become sick in any way, thank God. However since my DX, I've decided not to work until I'm certain that I am not contagious or there are stricter guidelines for me to adhere to and also that my clientele know that I am carrying this virus in me. Again id like to say that nail salons are notoriously dirty places, tools are used from one person to the next, and I have heard of several instances of Hepatitis, Staphylococcus, and other yeast infections being transmitted at these establishments. Good luck..William

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know people with Hep C who have elected not to do treatment and are still very healthy. And one of them has never figured out how she contracted it. Another one is fairly unsure though there is a very unlikely manner to have acquited it. I wouldn't get too weirded out over it but would get checked regularly and try to eat healthy and take care of yourself.

The side effects of interferon can be bad, no doubt about it. Funny thing is they've been testing it as a cure - yes, a real cure - for asthma.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!

I got my results today from the second test. They were negative. I do have to go back in a month for a retest. When I go back in, I really want to find out if it was truly indeed a false positive or if I was one of the rare people who tested positive but fought it off. I'll keep you guys posted.

For anyone in the same boat, don't give up hope

--sunshinec

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: sunshinec
finet5466 (07-09-2011), Kali333 (06-20-2011), luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinec For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
(male)

coldfeelings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinec View Post
I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!

I got my results today from the second test. They were negative. I do have to go back in a month for a retest. When I go back in, I really want to find out if it was truly indeed a false positive or if I was one of the rare people who tested positive but fought it off. I'll keep you guys posted.

--sunshinec
AWESOMENESS!! Congratulations!! You must be sooooo relieved. Wish you the best and please keep us posted..

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: coldfeelings
fine5466 (06-04-2011), luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to coldfeelings For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
(female)

fine5466 HB Userfine5466 HB Userfine5466 HB User

Quote:

I went to the doctor for some routine STD tests last week. My Hep C test came back positive. I've been through a range of emotions ever since I found out - anger, depression, sadness, hopelessness, fear, and the "why me" question.

Background about me - I just turned 34 (how's that for a birthday present!), I've never used intravenous drugs/needles. I do have two tattoos, but they were done in a (supposedly) reputable shop. I've never had any blood transfusions either.

So my theories on how I may have picked this up -- either via sexual contact, or through the nail shop (I've read that transmission there is possible). I do recall going to the nail shop a time or two and my cuticles being cut and bleeding.Have any of you ever heard of people contracting hepatitis via a nail shop? Since I keep reading that sexual transmission is rare, this is the only logical straw I can draw about how I got this disease.

Yesterday, the doctor ran a secondary set of tests - they said they wanted to make sure it's not a false positive, and probably to determine what strain of Hep C I have. I should have the results back by Friday or Monday.

I'm reading about the treatments and I'm terrified. Because I've been overweight most of my life, I routinely get physicals every year - and my liver enzymes have always been normal. Right now I haven't knowingly had any symptoms. I exercise regularly (due to my weight issues) and try not to eat many processed foods. I'm hoping that my health habits will help if I do indeed have Hep C. I will admit that I've had a few weekends where I may have drank a little too much, but I am cutting out drinking altogether since I may now have this disease.

So right now, I sit here, scared, mad, and disappointed in myself...and asking why me? I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

Thanks for reading,
sunshinec
I no how you feel
i gone Thur that too i take vitamins and take care of my self well so i did,NT understand how i got it since i been a nurse aid for 30 yrs and i thought i was time i had glove on my hand and it broken then there was bowl move (B/M) IN MY name i was so dastard about it that i clean my nail with sad bleach and alcohol over and over . I never done drugs or needle, or extreme parter, or nasty man or transfusing either so i did WHAT U DID TO MY SELF THE SELF PITY THING FOR A LONG TIME. now i taken herbs of all can i order from the Internets milk thistle and liver repair herbs all subjecting from this website from others who say it work so well i can,t wait until it get it i order it 2 day ago u should do this to also acid lip-- i don,t no the rest but once u use the web site it will should u the rest ok
love and peace and blessing to u

The following user gives a hug of support to fine5466:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to fine5466 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
(female)

walkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB User

My husband got Hep C through a tattoo shop. I never contacted it through sex. There is a 2 to 3% chance you can catch it that way. We have three children and none of them have it. Blood to blood is likely.
There are drugs depending on how bad it is that you can take, my husband has lived a normal and healthy life. It is NOT a death sentence.

The following user gives a hug of support to walkingtall:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to walkingtall For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
(female)

Here i just started on milk thisle and alpha lipoic acid tureric.

Use this and not that interferon ribavirin treatment plus dont do those any more but use milk thisle and the above alp acid tureric is very good i was told people heal from them and i order all of them pluse other and more already i feel good today well see in 4 month and then a year is how long she took them before she was hell

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeelings View Post
AWESOMENESS!! Congratulations!! You must be sooooo relieved. Wish you the best and please keep us posted..
I AM SO HAPPY FOR U
I HOPE TO HERE THE SAME THING SOON IN JESUS NAME OK PRAY FOR ME TOO.A

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 06-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!

--sunshinec
That is VERY good news. Congrats!

And you know, it's actually not so rare to contract the virus and then fight it off, especially among women.
A recent study of Irish women diagnosed with Hep C showed 42% of them fought it off!
Of course, more research is needed, it could've been a fluke. Other studies have shown that about 30% of women manage to fight off the virus, while only about half as many men do.

Anyway, congrats on your news!

The following user gives a hug of support to Kali333:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
(male)

rockhead HB Userrockhead HB Userrockhead HB Userrockhead HB Userrockhead HB User

Quote:

Thanks for reading,
sunshinec
Hello sunshine How u got hep really is not that important anymore.What is ,is getting treatment. Dont worry about being a little overweight.That might help u when u start treatment because of loss of appetite. One of the most important things is that u get your head in the right frame of mind before starting.I've been on Ribavirin 1200 mil a day Interferon injections every week. I had depression ,anxiety, self pity,loss of appetite ,aching muscles and joints and then my dr started me on Victrelis Which is Boceprevir,12 200 mil caps aday About 2 months into my treatment it got so i could bear the treatment.Now with the Boceprevir Im sicker than when I started treatment.I lost my govt job of 39 bucks an hr and its really hard to function but i refuse to give in to this thing.Dont be afraid my dear,If i can do it u can too.After all ,what does not kill us will only make us stronger.I hope this helps and bless u.I would be happy to help u and anyone else as much as i can..PS besides, with a name like sunshine there has to be a rainbow somewhere in your future ROCKHEAD

The following user gives a hug of support to rockhead:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
(male)

rockhead HB Userrockhead HB Userrockhead HB Userrockhead HB Userrockhead HB User

Hello sunshine How u got hep really is not that important anymore.What is ,is getting treatment. Dont worry about being a little overweight.That might help u when u start treatment because of loss of appetite. One of the most important things is that u get your head in the right frame of mind before starting.I've been on Ribavirin 1200 mil a day Interferon injections every week. I had depression ,anxiety, self pity,loss of appetite ,aching muscles and joints and then my dr started me on Victrelis Which is Boceprevir,12 200 mil caps aday About 2 months into my treatment it got so i could bear the treatment.Now with the Boceprevir Im sicker than when I started treatment.I lost my govt job of 39 bucks an hr and its really hard to function but i refuse to give in to this thing.Dont be afraid my dear,If i can do it u can too.After all ,what does not kill us will only make us stronger.I hope this helps and bless u.I would be happy to help u and anyone else as much as i can..PS besides, with a name like sunshine there has to be a rainbow somewhere in your future ROCKHEAD

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to rockhead For This Useful Post:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
(female)

So I received my second set of results today...all clear.

The doctor said I did test reactive (low S/CO again, value was 1.78), but the Heptimax came back completely negative. They also informed me it was truly a false positive - go figure.

Thanks for the support and good luck to all of you! And don't lose hope

Last edited by sunshinec; 08-23-2011 at 09:09 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunshinec:
luyingjie (01-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinec For This Useful Post:
rockhead (08-28-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
(male)

Im so happy 4 your test results I did the interferon and
ribavirin for 7 months and boceprevir for almost 3 months doc made me quit taking meds because of dangerously low blood platletts. i was just informed that there is no detectable hep c in my body. no one should ever have to go through that treatment and my heart truly bleeds for all those that do. Ive never heard of someones body fighting it off Well I dont have 2 tell u good luck because it sounds like u have alot to spare

luyingjie (01-25-2012)
Closed Thread