It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

wgnsj HB User
hep c swollen tummy and legs

My husband was diagnosed with hep c 3 years ago. They did a liver biopsy and said he was at a 0. He believe he has genotype 3. he was told that since he likely had this virus for many years and it has done no damage that it may never hurt him
This last year my husbands tummy has bulged... and when you push your finger into his leg it leaves a dent for over a minute meaning he has really bad edema in his legs.
I am concerned that he may need to take the 'cure' now.. are these signs of his liver having problems?

The following user gives a hug of support to wgnsj:
Handsfull (10-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
(male)

bobaluidman HB User
Re: hep c swollen tummy and legs

Per my experience. My hepatitis has effected my liver. I had to take diuretics for swolen legs and ankles, reduce sodium intake, and adhere to very strict diet. I am feeling better. This water retention is very uncomfortable and is associated with cirrhosis due to long term hep c.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
Re: hep c swollen tummy and legs

Portal hypertension can occur for reasons other than cirrhosis and can result in that sort of swelling. I was just reading an article about fructose and otherwise normal lab rats that said, "The livers of the rats on the high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic." Anything that restricts the flow of blood through the liver can cause hypertension and water retention. Other obstructions can be swelling of other organs, tumors, cysts...etc... that put pressure on the portal vein and restrict flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgnsj View Post
My husband was diagnosed with hep c 3 years ago. They did a liver biopsy and said he was at a 0. He believe he has genotype 3. he was told that since he likely had this virus for many years and it has done no damage that it may never hurt him
This last year my husbands tummy has bulged... and when you push your finger into his leg it leaves a dent for over a minute meaning he has really bad edema in his legs.
I am concerned that he may need to take the 'cure' now.. are these signs of his liver having problems?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wes1212 For This Useful Post:
AgedFlowerChild (10-29-2011)
Closed Thread