It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hepatitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
(male)

grace91 HB User
hep c and cirrhosis

My uncle, 54, had been diagnosed with hep c and cirrhosis on July. He most probably got it during a blood transfusion in about 1995. He is having fluid in foot for about two years though the doctors couldnt predict cirrhosis till now. He is having fluid in stomach too like pregnant but I dont know for how much time since he was a bit fat earlier too. The doctors said his cirrhosis is 'managable'.

He was given pegasys in July and had fever and weakness . He also traveled quite a bit due to work. Two weeks later, he ate some questionable food and got food poisoning(The doctor hadnt warned us about such things). He got a lot of muscle wasting and looks EXTREMELY weak. Also he developed severe back pain and is having trouble sleeping getting up etc. We have been going to doctors for a long time and had a lot of tests taken but they couldnt give a reason for the back pain. They dont seem to check him properly and just send him away to make more money. One day theyll say to do exercise the next theyll say do nothing at all. He recently had an enormous swelling in his foot and they just tell him to keep it elevated. I think his liver might be causing more weakness and he doesnt seem strong if something happens.

What should we do? Also, how long will his lever function before a transplant is required? I read that 30% people die within five tears of cirrhosis. Thanks.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: grace91
My Body (10-05-2012), win 79 (09-16-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
(male)

cujoboy HB User
Re: hep c and cirrhosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace91 View Post
My uncle, 54, had been diagnosed with hep c and cirrhosis on July. He most probably got it during a blood transfusion in about 1995. He is having fluid in foot for about two years though the doctors couldnt predict cirrhosis till now. He is having fluid in stomach too like pregnant but I dont know for how much time since he was a bit fat earlier too. The doctors said his cirrhosis is 'managable'.

He was given pegasys in July and had fever and weakness . He also traveled quite a bit due to work. Two weeks later, he ate some questionable food and got food poisoning(The doctor hadnt warned us about such things). He got a lot of muscle wasting and looks EXTREMELY weak. Also he developed severe back pain and is having trouble sleeping getting up etc. We have been going to doctors for a long time and had a lot of tests taken but they couldnt give a reason for the back pain. They dont seem to check him properly and just send him away to make more money. One day theyll say to do exercise the next theyll say do nothing at all. He recently had an enormous swelling in his foot and they just tell him to keep it elevated. I think his liver might be causing more weakness and he doesnt seem strong if something happens.

What should we do? Also, how long will his lever function before a transplant is required? I read that 30% people die within five tears of cirrhosis. Thanks.
Hi, I have Hep -C and had it since 1981 and just found out about it 3 yrs ago.After two biopsy,s,the first one the Dr said I was in stage 1 Fibrosis,which is a "webbing of sort" that grows around the portals of your liver,then after waiting till I was starting to feel sharp pains in my rt side,had the next biopsy and was told I was in stage 2 Fibrosis and to start the pegasys RBV treatment,24 weeks to kill it before it goes to "Bridging Fibrosis,which describes itself ,then total closing of some of the portals,resulting in Cirrhosis.I got mine from a blood transfusion at St Mikes Hospital in Toronto and filed for the Hep-C Compensation Package. Red cross gave me $10.500,The Province gave me $25.000 and The feds gave me $178.000.Tell him to apply ,just ask for the 1-800 # for The Hep-C Compensation Package and they will send it. To help ease your mind,they can treat Cirrhosis with new meds they have,just go to a real Good Hepatolagist.They will re-biopsy him and put him on the new meds out.very expensive,but Our Government has Trillium which will pay for his as they do mine.I am only into my 6th week of treatment,but after the first week,most of the side effects went away .I feel fatigued but am feeling better.Pass that on and see what he thinks. Cujo-Boy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
(male)

cujoboy HB User
Re: hep c and cirrhosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace91 View Post

Hi, I have Hep -C and had it since 1981 and just found out about it 3 yrs ago.After two biopsy,s,the first one the Dr said I was in stage 1 Fibrosis,which is a "webbing of sort" that grows around the portals of your liver,then after waiting till I was starting to feel sharp pains in my rt side,had the next biopsy and was told I was in stage 2 Fibrosis and to start the pegasys RBV treatment,24 weeks to kill it before it goes to "Bridging Fibrosis,which describes itself ,then total closing of some of the portals,resulting in Cirrhosis.I got mine from a blood transfusion at St Mikes Hospital in Toronto and filed for the Hep-C Compensation Package. Red cross gave me $10.500,The Province gave me $25.000 and The feds gave me $178.000.Tell him to apply ,just ask for the 1-800 # for The Hep-C Compensation Package and they will send it. To help ease your mind,they can treat Cirrhosis with new meds they have,just go to a real Good Hepatolagist.They will re-biopsy him and put him on the new meds out.very expensive,but Our Government has Trillium which will pay for his as they do mine.I am only into my 6th week of treatment,but after the first week,most of the side effects went away .I feel fatigued but am feeling better.Pass that on and see what he thinks. Cujo-Boy

Closed Thread