HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hepatitis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hepatitis/)
-   -   Boyfriend just diagnosed with Hepatitis C (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hepatitis/921610-boyfriend-just-diagnosed-hepatitis-c.html)

DevotedGF 10-04-2012 04:40 PM

Boyfriend just diagnosed with Hepatitis C

This is my first post, as I just came across this website while looking for answers to my questions. My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with Hepatitis C. I have already been tested and I am negative. So I have a few questions:

He has never done IV drugs. He was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago and just got back a year ago so the VA doctors tell him that he probably contracted it while on deployment. He has been in a few physical altercations with other guys which left both parties bloody and gashed. He has also done cocaine in his past. All of these things happened before he was deployed though. So, I'm wondering, doesn't the military test for this before they deploy someone? If he had this from those other things wouldn't they have found it then? If so, then the only means by which he came in contact with the virus would be on deployment. I know nothing about what they do before or after deployment as far as health testing. Could someone enlighten me?

Also, since I am negative I am worried about contracting it. I have read so many conflicting articles online about the chances of sexual contraction of the virus. What are the chances that I can contract the virus from him if there's no blood shared? We don't get crazy in bed or anything.

Finally, he is still drinking occassionally. Not often, but when he does he drinks quite a bit. I've said things about it but he gets very defensive. He hasn't yet gotten the results from his viral load test....or so he says he hasn't. How long does that test take to get back? If his viral load is ok, is it ok for him to be drinking?

I'm just concerned for him, and myself. Any insight is much appreciated. He and I both are very educated but neither of us are health professionals and have never dealt with anything even close to this. Thanks for any advice and insight!

ladybud 10-04-2012 07:14 PM

Re: Boyfriend just diagnosed with Hepatitis C

You are asking some good questions. First, Hep C can be transmitted sexually thru semen, so you should always use protection with a condom. It has an incubation period of up to six months, so I would recommend getting tested again in 6 months to verify you are still negative. It is likely he did contract it during deployment from blood contact. Cocaine would not be a factor unless it was IV. A blood transfusion could transmit the virus as well. Anyone with hepatitis is best off avoiding alcohol. Also, Tylenol is hard on the liver and something else should be used for pain when needed. Contact with semen thru oral sex could transmit the virus too, so just be aware and very careful on a consistent basis.

ItsMeG 10-12-2012 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=DevotedGF;5067243]This is my first post, as I just came across this website while looking for answers to my questions. My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with Hepatitis C. I have already been tested and I am negative. So I have a few questions:

He has never done IV drugs. He was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago and just got back a year ago so the VA doctors tell him that he probably contracted it while on deployment. He has been in a few physical altercations with other guys which left both parties bloody and gashed. He has also done cocaine in his past. All of these things happened before he was deployed though. So, I'm wondering, doesn't the military test for this before they deploy someone? If he had this from those other things wouldn't they have found it then? If so, then the only means by which he came in contact with the virus would be on deployment. I know nothing about what they do before or after deployment as far as health testing. Could someone enlighten me?

Also, since I am negative I am worried about contracting it. I have read so many conflicting articles online about the chances of sexual contraction of the virus. What are the chances that I can contract the virus from him if there's no blood shared? We don't get crazy in bed or anything.

Finally, he is still drinking occassionally. Not often, but when he does he drinks quite a bit. I've said things about it but he gets very defensive. He hasn't yet gotten the results from his viral load test....or so he says he hasn't. How long does that test take to get back? If his viral load is ok, is it ok for him to be drinking?

I'm just concerned for him, and myself. Any insight is much appreciated. He and I both are very educated but neither of us are health professionals and have never dealt with anything even close to this. Thanks for any advice and insight![/QUOTE]

I wish I knew about the military but I don't.
I wanted to share that Hep C has a very low rate of sexual transmission especially if your in a long term monogamous relationship. The cdc shares great information on their site. You should follow the advice of your doctor and do what you feel comfortable with.
Remember to be careful if he gets cut, be proactive if you have to come into contact with his blood. I'm sure you know but never share toothbrushes or razors. As you know alcohol should be completely avoided, but you can't control him. The viral load tests should be back within a few weeks.

cujoboy 10-22-2012 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=DevotedGF;5067243]This is my first post, as I just came across this website while looking for answers to my questions. My boyfriend has just been diagnosed with Hepatitis C. I have already been tested and I am negative. So I have a few questions:

I'm just concerned for him, and myself. Any insight is much appreciated. He and I both are very educated but neither of us are health professionals and have never dealt with anything even close to this. Thanks for any advice and insight![/QUOTE]
Hi, I am in my 7th week of Pegasays Treatment .It is called Pegulated Interferon Alpha-2 with Ribivon Pills ,6 a day,3 twice daily. It takes two weeeks or three at the most to get results from Life Labs or any other lad.You just call your Specielist and ask them your viral load. I just got great news after finding out I had Hep-c for 20 yrs from a blood transfusion at St Mikes in Toronto when Red Cross was buying blood from US Jails and putting it into us. As far as getting it during sex,NO is the answer unless rough sex where blood is mixed,so you are safe. Booze is the worst thing for you as I know and many Drs will tell you it destroys the meds that are treating your Hep-c and destroys your already damaged liver. tell him to check it out,just google Booze and hep -c and show him whayt you find,Maybe that will settle him down. I quit yrs ago and I just got a call from My hep-c Nurse and she asked if I was sitting down?? I said why and she replied that there were no indication of the virus in just 6 weeks of treatment,amazing and I already am feeling better.I do one injection once a week of Pegasays /Interferon and take the 6 pills every day and then do it all over again. Blood tests two weeks on the clock and I am in stage two Fibrosis and they are so amazed that the company is sending me paperwork to fill out on what other supplements I am taking,like a high potency Multi-vitamin and Omega -3 etc,to see why i am being cured so quickly. It very rare they say to show no signs of the virus this early and they want to study me...WOW Its well worth the treatment and side effects are going away.I do my 7th injection in 10 minutes and have already taken my 3 pills this morning. Tell your Boyfriend the drinking has to stop or he will suffer a lot and will severely effect his treatment if he is on any. Cujo-Boy over and out