It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 11:02 PM   #1

lilly7170 HB User
3 year old boy with hernia

My son has had a hernia since birth. It goes from the top of his belly button to the bottom of his sternum(?). You only see it when he raises his head while changing his diaper. He had reflux when a couple months old and I think his gastro. dr. said not to worry about the hernia unless he still has it when he is 2 or 3. Does that sound right? he will be going to his regular dr in a few days and I want some advice before then. Thanks

Last edited by lilly7170; 03-04-2004 at 11:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 07:17 AM   #2

Kimbe HB User
Smile Re: 3 year old boy with hernia

My son also had a hernia since birth. At first we just thought it was an undistended testicle since one had not come down and you could not see the hernia. Each year's visit with the doctor they said not to worry about it that it was on its way down. When he was 9 years old they found the hernia. He had the surgery and they found that the cord for the testicle was severly wrapped around the hernia causing the testicle not to come down. I would ask his regular doctor about it because I would think it would be better to repair it while they are still young. They need to fix it before that part of the intestine gets strangled.

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM   #3

lilly7170 HB User
Re: 3 year old boy with hernia

thanks i hadn't thought of it that way. It would be awfull to just put it off to fix it until he is older but it would be awfull to surgically fix something that will go away. but would be even worse to take the chance on it not becoming serious when not expected. He has a severe speech delay and if he is in pain and can't get us to understand where or what it is that would be horrible.
thanks

Old 03-07-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

badkat HB User
Re: 3 year old boy with hernia

Just my 2cents regarding surgery: My son was 1 1/2yrs old and they found he had a hernia, told me that he needed it repaired but not a rush of a citiation. Well from research I did and others on the board we decided to get it fixed right away because of the possibility of stranglation of the testicles and then the reprecussions of that....so surgery was not at all a big deal. He was running around like nothing 2hrs after we got home and all the anthesia wore off!!! I would definelty check into it!! Other than being put under---the surgery was not an issue!! The little ones bounce back pretty quick!!!

Michelle

Closed Thread