It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

maggiecttr HB User
Question What is the Best Test for Hiatal Hernia?

My gastroent said no HH showed up on my upper endoscopy. Is that really the best test for the presence of a hiatal hernia? I still think I have one, or the start of one (a chiropractor told me I could have a "subclinincal" one that just didn't show up on endoacopy). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Maggie C.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
(male)

Nitehawk HB User
Re: What is the Best Test for Hiatal Hernia?

I had an Upper GI to check my reflux disease where they use a flouroscope to watch the barium go down as you drink it while standing and then again laying down. The Radiologist said he could see my Hiatal Hernia during this procedure. Also my GI Dr. found it during an Endoscope.
Good Luck,
Nitehawk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 12:58 AM   #3
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

Hi! I would think an endoscopy would show a hiatal hernia if you had one. That is suppose to be a very accurate test. I was told by a doctor that the two ways a hiatal hernia is diagnosed it through an endoscopy or a barium swallow.

Staci

Old 05-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #4

sara52 HB User

Maggie, sliding hiatal hernias can do strange things. It seems they can be there one minute and not the next or that they will appear one size at one exam and a different size at another. I guess thats why they are called "sliding" they move in and out..My Dr. at EGD told me I had a large hiatal hernia, about 4cm he said. When I had barium swallow prior to surgery they said maybe 2cm hiatal hernia. When I had surgery they found it was a large hernia. EGD is probably the best test because the Dr. is getting an eye view of it but that is really non-conclusive for the reasons mentioned.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #5

Elle Dub HB User

Is it possible to get a hiatal hernia from some pretty violent hiccups one day? At first I just thought it was gas trapped up in my chest ( I did burp for about 30 minutes straight ) but when I woke up the next morning, getting out of bed was painful. Sharp pains in the chest/abdomen area, mostly when I twisted or tried to use my back muscles to lift myself up. Any ideas on this?

Old 06-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #6

Gtpchic31 HB User

hi, i dont have a hh but a guy i work with went through 3 upper gi/barium swallows and 2 endoscopes on the final upper gi they found it. He kind of knew he had one thats why he went though so many. But i think the upper gi is the best to find it since its an xray.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

Interesting! Thanks...I have my Upper GI in two weeks, so I'll be hoping they see one. It would explain a lot of my symptoms, but so would several other things...I was CAT-scanned today, as a matter of fact, plus just sent stool samples for parasitology testing. Hope *something* turns up!

Thanks,
Maggie C.

Last edited by moderator4; 06-15-2004 at 10:19 PM. Reason: quote not needed.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

StaciL320 HB User

I was told by two doctors that the best way to test for a hiatal hernia would be either an endoscope or barium swallow. I can't imagine having a hiatal hernia and these tests not finding it.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow Re: What is the Best Test for Hiatal Hernia?

Maggie,
I agree with Staci -- the best is to have an endosope exam or a barium swallowing test. An upper GI series sometimes hides the hernia behind the ribs!! It happened to my wife twice!!! We all have different experiences??

God Bless---Harry

Closed Thread