It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 07:21 AM   #1

spiderswoman77 HB User
Herniated disc and tailbone injury

Hi all, I'm new here, but not new to back pain. Two years ago, I slipped and fell on our deck, and herniated 3 discs and injured my tailbone. After x-rays, MRIs, CT scans a discogram and a myelogram, the neurosurgeon says he may be able to help me. I've already tried the physical therapy, osteopathic manipulation, and steroid and epidural injections. Doc says he can remove my tailbone, and fuse my vertebrae. Am on Vicodin which really only takes the edge off the pain. I can only stand or sit for 15 minutes at a time, I'm really only comfortable lying down on my side (forget about lying on my back or stomach). I had to quit my job, after trying to cut back to part time, which didn't help. I can't do even the most normal activites at home, including simply washing dishes. I really miss being able to play with my grandchildren, I can't even lift the 13 month old without hurting myself. I'm really hoping that the surgery can be done soon, so I can recover and be able to at least function half way normally again.
My sister had her vertebrae fused a few years ago, and after having a second surgery to remove a screw which was hitting a nerve, she reoprts that she can even use a hula hoop again! The thought of doing that makes me cringe (LOL), so I'm hoping that I can benefit from surgery as well as she did.
I'm wondering, though, if they can do both of these procedures at the same time. I just want it done asap. Two years is just too long, and any longer will be intolerable.
Any feedback or suggestions from you kind folks will be appreciated, even just a word of encouragement.
Thanks, Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Inactive

out2lunch HB User
Re: Herniated disc and tailbone injury

Hi Jean, welcome aboard!!! You've come to a great place for compassion and complete understanding of all you're going through!! I wish you all the best in the world, with you're upcoming surgery/s!!
I know living with all this isn't easy (7yrs for me), and I want you to know that we're all here for you! Feel free to post about/whenever you need to ok?? Take care!

Old 08-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #3

spiderswoman77 HB User

Thanks for the welcome OuttoLunch! Been reading other posts, to get an idea what to expect, from people who've had surgery. Hard to sit for very long, when I posted that first message, I hadn't signed in yet, and had to go do so, then had to retype the post. I almost screamed and gave up. Today, I'm kneeling on the chair, since sitting is too painful. Don't know how you've dealt with this for so long. I'm wondering if they'll possibly do both surgeries at the same time? I can't find anyone else who has had these two areas worked on.

I'm sorry to see that there are so many others who suffer from back pain also, but I'm glad I'm not alone. Some days I feel like I'll never be "normal" again.

How long before they do a fusion, do you have to quit smoking? I'm having an awful time quitting, about ready to start licking ashtrays......

Old 08-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #4

healmyback HB User

Just stop smoking! I had a back injury and I kept smoking but i stopped now. I wish I had stop because one of the worst thing to do is smoke when u have a back injury. smoking will decrease all of your disks by 20%. Do as you will. Good luck and I know cronic pain is one of the worst things.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Hi, and welcome to these boards. I am sorry though that you have to be here. It is so hard to get through the days when you are in so much pain. Have you told your doctor that you don't get any real relief from the vicodin? He should know that and give you something stronger.
Have you gotten a second opinion, yet? If at all possible, I would do that before having surgery. And yes, you should quit smoking....people who don't smoke fuse better and faster..and recover more quickly. I'm a smoker, so I don't say that lightly. But when I had most of my surgeries, in the '80's no one made a big deal of it...heck, we had ashtrays in the rooms, lol.
Let is know when you are planning to have your surgery so we can all wish you well.
Take care, and try to hang in there. Come here to vent if you need to.

Carol
morphine pump

Closed Thread