It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #1

hortonhears1 HB User
herniated disk & emg

I had an emg done today on my lower back that showed that everything was ok. I have a herniated disk in my lower back(mri shows it), but my feet and lower legs still go numb and sometimes pins & needles. I'm confused, can this happen?I'm not able to stand on my toes either 1 foot at a time or both together.If i lay on my back I cant lift my legs of the ground more than a few inches. anyone have any ideas? thanks Art

Old 11-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: herniated disk & emg

come over to the back boards. You will find more help over there. Hope you do too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

unfortunetly, an EMG will only show problems with the nerves if there is actual damage or constant compression of a nerve.when i had my first EMG done the tech told me before the test that it might not show all the damage to the nerves,espescially if the compression changes when in different positions or if there is ongoing irritation to a nerve root.The only thing that shows up is actual damage.mine came up negative for anything wrong but i was having numbness and tingling and lots of pain in my neck and down my R arm.I did have a confirmed(by MRI)herniation of my C 6-7 so i was quite suprised that nothing showed up.now, move forward to after my last surgery,which involved going to the inside of my spinal cord to remove what was basically a glob of slowly hemmoraging blood vessels from the inside of my cord at the C-7,T-1 level.Boy, now there are all kinds of fun things showing up on my EMG as I suffered some very significant permanent damage to my C-7,C-8 and T-1 nerves and also two spinal tracts that run through the cord.My L arm is an absolute mess(the reason for my crappy typing)and the EMG showed some very significant damage.I just would not put a whole lot of faith in the EMG, espescially if you show a herniation on the MRI and you are suffering from the symptoms that you are.You really should be feeling quite good about the test showing nothing as it means you are not suffering any damage to your nerves that could become permanent ,at least not yet.This really is a GOOD thing,believe me.marcia

Old 11-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #4

hortonhears1 HB User

well thats only the bottom half. I also have 2 herniated disks in my neck(c56 c67 )I have that emg done on Thurs and go to my 1st nuerosurgeon Appt on Mon the 8.I guess that will be the big doctor appt.

Closed Thread