It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 PM   #1

itsmesiva HB User
C5-6 Herniation

Hi all,

I am Siva, and am 27 years old. An indian graduate student lliving in the United States. I have been having perennial head aches for the oast few years. To describe it exactly, I experience strain on my temples and in the back of my head like muscle contractions and palpitations. Recently I have noticed that my head begins to shake a bit in rhythm with the palpitating pulse if I let it go for a while. I got my blood tested, and I have enough hemoglobin. The X-ray report showed that I have some herniation in the C5-6 region. The doctor said there is a protruding lip kind of structure in the discs and the space in between has reduced. I went in for an MRI the report of which reads normal for all other aspects but for the following:

C4-5: The nerural foramina and central canal are preserved. There is a mild disc bulge at this level with partial effacement of the anterior cervical subarachnoid space.

C5-6: At this level there is a rather prominent central and right paracentric disc herniation which appears to be subligamentous and does efface the anterior cervical arachnoid space compressing upon the anterior cervical fat. The spinal canal is narrowed at this level. The bony foramina are preserved.

C-6-7: At this level, there is a central and slightly left paracentric disc herniation. Neural foramina and the central canal are otherwise preserved. The anterior cervical subarachnoid space is almost completely effaced.

Impression: There is a large disc herniation at C5-6 midline and slightly paracentric to the right. There is a slightly smaller disc herniation at C6-7 midline and extending slightly paracentric to the left.

I am an environmental engineer and I dont understand whats really going on. Please explain me whats the problem. Is it serious? I am an internaitonal student here and if I need to I have to act quickly on the remedy.

Thanks for any help you can priovide.

Warm Regards,

Siva.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

creinha HB User
Re: C5-6 Herniation

Siva,

Your MRI sounds a lot like mine did, even in the same areas C4-C6, although our symptoms are quite different. I had a sharp pain that ran into my shoulder and numbness in some of my fingers.

I took Neurontin, Bextra, and Prednisone to help with pain. I tried Physical Therapy but that only made the situation worse. Then I had three epidural shots. Those helped some. Then a friend suggested I see a chiropractor. That helped more than anything. I attend the chiropractor regularly. I still have pain occasionally, but it's minor.

Hope that helps.
Cheri.

Closed Thread