It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

Darcy315 HB User
Herniated Disk Surgery on C5 & C6 of Neck?

What should I expect from having disk fusion surgery in my neck for a large herniated disk of my C5 & C6? Did anyone have any bad results? How long did it take for your whole recovery period? I just got told this morning that I need the surgery but I haven't talked to the surgeon in person yet. The office called me over the phone to let me know. I see the surgeon on January 18th. of 2005. They want to hurry up and do this because they know that my husband and I are also trying to have a baby and want to get this out of the way first. Has anyone also had to put off their pregnancy in order to have this surgery first? I'm so stressed out about all of this...please help, thank you.

Last edited by Darcy315; 12-30-2004 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Herniated Disk Surgery on C5 & C6 of Neck?

I wish I knew! I just had a lumbar fusion and will be waiting during this healing to see if I need surgery on my neck at the same level as you. I was told more than likely surgery WILL NOT help me, but I am young and want to return to school and need to be able to look down for long periods of time (well, I can take breaks).ANyway, I wanted my lumbar fusion NOW rather than wait b/c later on down the road, hubby and I may want kids and I knew I didn't want to put that off longer b/c i'd need surgery. So that was one reason I pushed so hard for now, including school. I am 27, and we want to wait until about 35 to have a kid, if we even do. So, my thought would be it is a good idea to have a fusion before children so you'll have the added support-you'll be looking down A LOT with a baby (feeding, changing, putting in bed etc...) and that could get so painful. Of course, I have no idea how you will feel after surgery either. Man, wish I could help you out more. If the doc says you need it and they think better now than later, I'd listen. Or at the least, get a second opinion just to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
(female)

Darcy315 HB User

Thanks for your suggestions Mel1977. Good luck with your recovery, hope you have a speedy one. Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Happy new year to you as well!

Old 12-31-2004, 12:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy315
What should I expect from having disk fusion surgery in my neck for a large herniated disk of my C5 & C6? Did anyone have any bad results? How long did it take for your whole recovery period? I just got told this morning that I need the surgery but I haven't talked to the surgeon in person yet. The office called me over the phone to let me know. I see the surgeon on January 18th. of 2005. They want to hurry up and do this because they know that my husband and I are also trying to have a baby and want to get this out of the way first. Has anyone also had to put off their pregnancy in order to have this surgery first? I'm so stressed out about all of this...please help, thank you.
My husband had a two level neck fusion three months ago. He was up and back to work in a week. It was an out patient procedure using a plate, screws, and bone paste w/cages. He was told that neck surgery is a whole different ball game than lower back surgery.

He had one set back, sharp shooting pain upon waking. Went to the ER and got two Demeral shots and is now okay.

He goes to PT twice a week and walks between 2 to 7 miles a day. He is not a spring chicken, but is still spry.

His only complaint is the inability to bend his neck to his chest or back. He has a wide range of movement, otherwise.

He was like you, confused. He threw up for days before making the decison to have the surgery but had to have it because the nerve was coming out of the sheeve and staying there, causing him great pain. He would have lost use of his arm.

Fusion, or surgery of any kind, is a personal choice. You have to be comfortable with the decision, the doctor and the facility as well as preparing yourself for the possible outcomes and the possibility that it may not work or may not cure all of your pain.

My husband is not pain free, but he is coming along. He is off all pain meds. He has to sleep on his back and use a special memory foam pillow. He realizes that he can never bend his neck down again. That is hard for him because he likes to play pool.

I wish you luck in whatever decison you make.

As for the pregnancy, this should not effect that. Even though all of the bones of the body are connected, the neck really doesn't play a role in the pregnancy, per se'.

Because you only need one level repaired, you may want to look into the ADR.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Herniated Disk Surgery on C5 & C6 of Neck?

I just had surgery 12/29 for a two level acdf c4-6 using donor bone and plating. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, and osteophyte and foraminal narrowing, and a disc herniation and rupture. I read lots of boards like these first as i researched my problem for 6 months while i tried all conservative measures. I did rest, drugs, pt and epidural (which did provide good pain relief but it started wearing off weeks after. I had bad right arm pain, shoulder pain and not much neck pain prior to surgery. Really just miserable with any normal movement. I had been taking lots of pain meds and neurontin for those 6 months.

I left the hospital in 24 hours, with a hard collar and only using percosette every 4 hours on day 2. By day 3 I was weaning down and today which is 5 days after, I am now down to taking ibuprofen. a couple vicadins, and went to grocery store with my husband and walked a block. My journey toward health is on its way. I have a ways to go to get back to my normal which prior to the pain I was swimming laps for an hour and light weight lifting, plus a full and busy life.

Based on how I feel I believe this was the best possible decision for me as my life had dramatically changed. I can't imagine trying to carry a pregnancy with a problem like this hanging over me. Try all measures and get multiple opinions. There are many new procedures, one might be available for your case so research before you decide.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing your story.

Closed Thread