It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

storms_refuge HB User
Question hernias

I keep reading things about hietal(sp?) hernias being a major cause of GERD. I know that GERD can be present without it, but have most of your doctors checked you for hernias as standard procedure for GERD, or no? I am thinking of asking to be checked, because I would like to know "why" I am all of a sudden having this issue. But I am terrified ( this is an understatement) of having the test with the tube down my nose and to my stomach. As I understand it, this seems to be the standard test for hernia detection. Anyone know if there are other tests that might be as effective for diagnosing the hernia? (maybe an upper GI?). And for those who have done the scope down the nose thing, is it possible to do it without having your throat sprayed with thye numbing stuff? I have a real fear, or phobia might be more accurate....of my throat being numb. It makes me feel as if I am choking. And since this is the #1 symtpom the GERD is giving me (choking) I really do not want more of the same feeling. I have also read some studies suggesting that candida (yeast) can be the cause of GERD. Anyone buy into that, or am I just grasping at straws. My ENTsays it may take the Nexium weeks to make me feel better. But I rely alot on what you all have to say because you live this, not just read it from a textbook. For those who have/had the choking sensation as a result of this disease, does the medication really take it away? I have cried all day today, I look at my kids....they need Mom back. And I am honestly just getting so sad and sick of feeling bad......I am starting to lose hope that whatever is causing me to feel this way, will ever resolve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: hernias

Hi Storms Refuge
Sorry you are feeling so bad. Ive not been doing too well at the moment either, so I understand where you are coming from. Ive had about 6 months of really uncontrolled gerd. But, Ive read loads of posts on message boards where people do get better control of their gerd and it does stop being such a major part of their life. It will happen for us, but we just need to find the right treatment. One thing I read and also my doc said was to take an antihistamine at night (for me my symptoms are worst at night) because allergies cause excess acid. I think this helped me last night, I had a better night sleep last night than I have for 6 months. Something else that you could try is to take slippery elm capsules, they really helped me with sore throats and phlegm in the throat. You can get them from health food shops and won't interfere with the Nexium.

I haven't been checked for a hernia but I am wonder if I have one. I am in the UK and I think they aren't so interested in the whys. Mine started suddenly aswell. Im really analytical and hate not knowing why I have this.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Tess

Old 03-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

I recently had an upper GI and a small hiatal hernia; plus acid reflux was diagnosed. I think it's pretty much standard procedure to do that test first before the tube down the throat.

My reflux is rather severe and I didn't even know it. My doctor just started me on Protonix which she says I will need to take the rest of my life.

I've just had surgery for an umbilical hernia a week ago and now this. It could be worse, and hopefully no further damage will be done.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
(female)

storms_refuge HB User

Well, I saw my general family pratitioner yesterday (again....seems I live there lately), and she ordered the upper GI. I don't know when yet, she said she would call me today after it was set up. How bad is that yummy chalky stuff? I am hoping I don;t wretch my guts up :/
I have read that being over weight can be a contributing factor in GERD and hernias.....I had a baby last year and still have a few pounds to loose, although I have lost 35 already. I wonder if the weight is a factor...if loosing it can reverse a hernia, or if once the hernia is there, nothing short of a surgery would correct it. I read that in Chinese medicine, the stomach is thought to be the meridian of worry. I guess to some extent we sort of believe this in Western traditional medicine, as well. Because we all have heard the terms of having a "nervous stomach" or butterflys in your stomach from being anxious, etc. I know so many of us here seem to post about anxiety issues along with the stomach complaints. Part of me believes that maybe, just maybe, a better grip on anxiety and stress might take this issue away for me. But then I am also very analytical and hate not having control over any situation in my life, so maybe that's just rubbish and I am grasping at straws for a way to feel like I can be in control of this.
I am having a biopsy of a small nodule on my thyroid Monday, so I know my stress level has been through the roof. I am not sure how to control that one.....I guess I just have to go through it and try to take it one day...one minute...at a time. My best to you Tesss and Dianek. I hope we find answers, and something that works for us that we can live with.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User

The barium for the upper GI isn't too bad, it's not as chalky as it used to be. Weight issues can contribute to hiatal hernia; I could stand to lose some weight, but I know there are a lot heavier people than me walking around just fine without one.

Also, having the gallbladder removed increases chances of GERD, which I had removed about 8 years ago.

Hope your biopsy goes well on the nodule. I had that done a few years ago, myself, on my thyroid, thankfully it was benign and hopefully yours will be too.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #6

Gareth_rogers HB User

Hi - it is very rare for a hiatus hernia to be large enough to cause reflux, 95% of the time it is the valve (LES) that is not working properly anymore. To confuse matters -most people just say "hiatus hernia" when talking about the cause of the reflux - but actually it is the valve..

Closed Thread