It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
(female)

cynbth HB User
Herniated cervical disc c5-6 with nerve impingment

I am having a terrible time managing the pain associated with my herniated disc. I have just recently been Dx, but the pain has gotten much worse. I am currently in PT which is a great help, but am looking for non-medical information to help manage the pain.
My neck and shoulder pain is so significant I can not function in my daily living.
Is there any information out there, that will teach me exercises I can do on my own that will reduce the pain enough to allow me to function?

Old 06-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

DX- HB User
Re: Herniated cervical disc c5-6 with nerve impingment

Cynbth,

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain.

You can do searches in any search engine for natural remedies and exercises -- even just asking a question such as "are there exercises to ease the pain of a herniated disk?" Try google or ask.com for that question.

Also, I know of one website that balances information from western and eastern medicine called goldbamboo.com -- you can look up all kinds of topics that will weigh those two options.

Best of luck to you,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

One really big thing that helped me with those tight balled up muscles in my upper back was massage.But when my ins co stopped paying for it,i had to get creative.i ended up taking the dogs tennis ball(sorry ralph) and placing it inside a tube sock and putting it behind my upper back area and pushing into all of those trigger points that had accumulated there.You can also kind of roll it around the whole back if you have to.This actually helped me get rid of some of the most tight areas in my back.I originally put the ball into the sock as,well, the dog ick on it,but found that using the sock kept the ball from dropping onto the ground when I rolled it too far.You can also maintain much better control over placing the ball right onto the worst ares.I use this all the time now when a certain muscle in my upper shoulder area gets real bad.This really does help reduce some of my more intense shoulder and neck pain.my PT told me the best way to get rid of the trigger points(those little balled up wads in your back that when pushed on cause more intense pain?)Just place the ball over that area and push into the wall as hard as you can,and kind of wiggle the ball a little?do this for like fifteen to 30 seconds or until you "feel" a bit of release of the ball.God when it works, you can actually feel that little ball just open up and then it is just gone.

if you are having any pain at all that is being caused by tense or wadded up muscles in your back, I can guarentee that you will find at least some relief in the overall intensity of that pain by doing this.it is definitely worth trying.i hope this helps you some.

Oh, and by the way, i did give the dog his ball back when i bought a new,much cleaner one.He has stopped giving me that 'look' now.good luck,FB

Old 06-24-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
(female)

kay1946 HB User

Hi Cynbeth,

I have had two cervical surgeries. The last one fused C-3 through C-7. I am left with servere burning pain in the right shoulder and scapular area. Using my hands makes this worse. It is 2 1/2 years since surgery so I am assuming this is permanent.

I have tried acupuncture and it helps a great deal. Problem is it is not permanent. Since it is not covered by insurance I had to stop. I also see a reflexologist once a week for a treatment. I can be in severe pain and then painfree after the treatment. Again, money is the problem.

I agree with you on trying alternative medicine. I need another surgery but am putting it off as long as I can still function. ( I am currently on SS disability and have not worked since 2002.)

Good luck with your search.

Kay

Closed Thread