It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
(male)

de49152 HB User
What causes lump-in-throat sensation? Hernia?

I am 30 yrs old have GERD/LPR and take prilosec 20mg morning & evening. Even mild cases of reflux (especially at night) cause an annoying lump-in-throat tight sensation that sometimes lasts the whole day... I almost always feel it to some degree but gets worse after lying down or weight lifting. Is this a common symptom or does it indicate a possible hernia? Probably time to the doc and have a scope done.

The Following User Says Thank You to de49152 For This Useful Post:
fssjohn (02-10-2012)
Old 01-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #2

zoot_suit_brian HB User
Re: What causes lump-in-throat sensation? Hernia?

it is common with LPR, definetly should be checked out by a doctor. My understanding is the sympton is not nessicarily serious, though i think most people, including me, find the symptom so unbearable that it marked reduces the quality of our life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
(male)

Fleebin HB User

If you have GERD, be sure to always elevate your upper body when lying down. Do not eat 4 hours before bed.

The lump you feel is usually the result of swelling from the acid burning your throat. Get an upper GI so they can check for cancer, Barrett's and they can do a biopsy. Sometimes GERD can lead to Barrett's, which can lead to cancer.

Try throat coat tea and be sure to stick to avoiding the following:

Alchohol
Caffine (chocolate, coffee, etc)
Spicy Foods
Over Eating
Onoins
Tomatoes
Fried Foods
Fatty Foods
Dehydration
Mints
Citrus (also apples)
Nicotine (non smoker)
Eating 4 hours before bed
Lying flat
Ketchup, mustard

Blessings

Old 01-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi i also have that lump in the throat sensation, funny thing was that when i first started taking nexium it got s much better, I still have it but not as bad, but i did stop the nexium because of heavy duty dizziness since i was not eating much, but anyway I dont have a hernia and have that feeling, but i notice that when i keep my mouth moist the feeling gets better and also hot tea help a bunch, i think its teh infalmmation from the acid coming u that makes it feel that lump sensation

Old 01-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

here is some info on the symptoms of LPR

This acid causes irritation of the delicate tissues that cover the inside of the esophagus, larynx, and back of the throat. This results in various symptoms including

a painful or burning sensation in the chest ("heartburn")
difficult or painful swallowing
hoarseness
increased mucus in the throat (phlegm)
a feeling that something is stuck in the throat (foreign body sensation

Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
(male)

sicklystom HB User

yea i have this problem with my upper hernia, i always feel like im going to yak. I eat about 1 meal a day unless i use other aids to eat (pot which actually damages it more in the long run. I take protonix and while at one time it worked for me it isn't now, however i really think you should see your doctor and give it a shot. get something to lower that acid level,

Closed Thread