It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User
Hernia with no bulge?

I am a 25-year-old female, and I had surgery when I was 17 for a right inguinal hernia. It wasn't detected by my general surgeon, but upon surgery two hernias were found and repaired.

I've had the same symptoms for the past two years or so on the left side, but my general surgeon I saw last month said he couldnt' feel any bulges (neither can I but I feel the pain) and said I probably had a groin pull.

Am I a hypochondriac? Is this just in my head? What can I do to get my doctors to listen to me without making myself feel like a whining little child?

Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
(female)

2catfans HB User
Re: Hernia with no bulge?

Dear Mustangsally,
I had both direct & indirect inguinal hernia repair with double mesh in 8/1995. My surgeon said that hernias are very hard to "feel" in woman and most woman don't present with a buldge, just pain. If you are having the same symptons (mine were "just cut off my right hip so I don't hurt any more") then go to the doctor. If you feel your current doc isn't addressing your concerns, you have a right to a second opinion and you should definitely go for a second opinion. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

Thanks, 2catfans. I think I'm becoming a bit skeptical of my pain, even though I had one before. it's hard when people tell you they can't feel a hernia, even though I'm almost 100% sure I have one.

I saw the surgeon who did my first hernia surgery, and he didn't feel anything but said that if I felt like I had one and that it needed attention then he would be glad to do surgery. He left it up to me, and I chickened out because he's in practice with a gynecologist whom I detest, and I need to have a diagnostic laparoscopy at the same time. My family doctor sent me to a gynecologist in another town, and this GYN sent me to a general surgeon (so they could do both surgeries at once and I wouldn't have to have two different procedures). I'm going back to see him tomorrow (post colonoscopy) so I hope I can be convincing and assured that I do in fact have another hernia.

So it is a ssecond opinion, in a way.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
(female)

2catfans HB User

Great!!! Just like I said, tell him if it feels just like it did before. My surgeon said that it was better for them to go in and look than to take a chance because you can get a strangulated bowel. The insurance company almost waited too long with my hernias. I had a fever the weekend before and the day of surgery. Doc said that my bowels were starting to strangulate! Anyway, let me know what they say. I go in on Friday 2/10 for tonsil and sinus surgery so as soon as I feel up to it, I'll check in with you again. I have a post under "Ears, Nose, Throat" "Tonsils Surgery at 45!" Until next time.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

Thanks!

So sorry to hear about your scheduled surgery. Doesn't sound like much fun. I've gotta run, I'll check in later!

Old 02-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

2catfan, how did your surgery go? I hope you're not too miserable, I've read that adult tonsillectomies are no fun at all. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Lots of ice cream/ frozen treats to take away the pain!

My surgeon seemed to be a bit more understanding this time, and he sent me for a CT scan which I had on Friday. I'm supposed to call and get the results on Tuesday, so I'll update when I find out. But I've read that a lot of times hernias don't show up on CT, so who knows?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
(female)

2catfans HB User
Thumbs down Re: Hernia with no bulge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsally65
2catfan, how did your surgery go? I hope you're not too miserable, I've read that adult tonsillectomies are no fun at all. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Lots of ice cream/ frozen treats to take away the pain!

My surgeon seemed to be a bit more understanding this time, and he sent me for a CT scan which I had on Friday. I'm supposed to call and get the results on Tuesday, so I'll update when I find out. But I've read that a lot of times hernias don't show up on CT, so who knows?
Day 5
Emergency surgery on Monday night late for bleeding 2nd time. Went to ER at 7PM because bleeding. Sent me home after hour of no bleeding. Got home, sat down, bleeding started again. So on to large hospital. Lost a lot of blood before surgery, about 1.12 pints. Doc found 2 veins seeping and cleaned up scar bed and pumped 200 ml (.422 pint) of blood from my stomach. I really thought I was going to die!! Clots blocking air way. Felt like I was drowning! Scared dear hubby and mom! Stayed overnight, discharged Tuesday about 10am. Doc said that quite common to have bleeding problem on day 3 after original surgery in adult tonsilectomy. Not trying to scare anyone, if you need it done then do it and be done. Starving!! Ate cream of chicky soup, choco pudding, and 12 oz. milk at 4:30am. Lost 6-7 lbs. Pills put fear in pit of stomach. Choking hazzard!! Swallowing kind of easier, low grade fever 99 to 100. Staying in bed again today as still very weak and pale and reall sleepy. Update later.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

Oh no! I hope you are feeling better soon. My thoughts are with you.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Oh no! I hope you are feeling better soon. My thoughts are with you.
Hi Mustangsally,
Here's an update! Hubby says I have more color back in my face today. I still think I look real pale. Hubby took me to doc appt. this morning. Doc said that bleeding like mine falls in 1%!! We are now at day 3 again!! (Because of emergency surgery) My hemoglobin count was 11, the lowest "normal" level before they have to do a blood transfusion. I have to take an iron supplement for a month or so. I still have a stint in my nose and I still have to sleep in an almost upright position!! The pathology report said that I had "chronic tonsillitis with benign lymphoid hyperplasia." The largest tonsil measured 3.5 cm in diameter!! Hubby stayed home today with me and will tomorrow just in case the bleeding starts again. We still have to get past day 6-8 before bleeding risk is mostly gone. Next check up is in 2 weeks. Please pray that I have no more problems and a speedy recovery.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
(female)

mustangsally65 HB User

So I've been trying to get my CT scan results since Tuesday the 14, and I left several messages this week. Friday, I went to pick up my cat's ashes at the vet late in the afternoon and apparently there was a call for me. My sister, who was visiting for the weekend, answered the phone and when they asked for Ms. (my last name) she actually said "This is she," even though she's been married since 2001 and has a different last name! I could have killed her, and then she tells me that it was the actual surgeon who was calling, and that he said the results were fine and that I could call back if I wanted to. Meanwhile she tells my dad, her husband, and my brother about my message.

No one at my house has ever heard of privacy. But I don't know what to do because if I call back I know I won't be able to get ahold of the surgeon, so should I even bother?

Old 02-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
So I've been trying to get my CT scan results since Tuesday the 14, and I left several messages this week. Friday, I went to pick up my cat's ashes at the vet late in the afternoon and apparently there was a call for me. My sister, who was visiting for the weekend, answered the phone and when they asked for Ms. (my last name) she actually said "This is she," even though she's been married since 2001 and has a different last name! I could have killed her, and then she tells me that it was the actual surgeon who was calling, and that he said the results were fine and that I could call back if I wanted to. Meanwhile she tells my dad, her husband, and my brother about my message.

No one at my house has ever heard of privacy. But I don't know what to do because if I call back I know I won't be able to get ahold of the surgeon, so should I even bother?
I would get a scond opinion now. I don't think a CT scan will pick up a hernia.

Closed Thread