It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

monarog HB User
Anyone (besides me) with Nervous System Overload After Cervical Herniation?

Me again...I just need to know if I'm the only one who's nervous system has gone out of control after a disc herniation. 13 months ago C-6/7 herniation - large w/ "mass effect" on c-7 nerve root. After 4 months of gradual improvement, pain worsened, went back into my arm and then my nervous system went nuts. Numbness in feet, on and off gait disturbance (balance and such), numbness in arms, off and on hyperreflexia, numbness in face, tingling back, twitching muscles, dizziness, tongue feels too big for mouth sometimes....all of this changes up all the time, moves around. Tested for EVERYTHING...MRI's spine, brain, spinal tap, EMG/NVC, blood work etc. - all "normal." MRI of cervical spine shows c-6/7 herniation with some reabsorbing (6 months after original rupture), spinal canal narrow at that site to 10 mm. I am resorting to accupuncture and myofascial treatment...I'm not hopeful, but I'll try anything! I'm entertaining chiropractic at this point. My neurosurgeon actually thinks my neck was probably the trigger of all these problems, though he can't "medically" explain it all...he's the one who is suggesting the alternative therapies - I don't think he knows what to do with me! My neuro symptoms have been going on for 7 months now, my neck pain after 13 months of rupture is still crazy, along with the arm pain. Anyone else go into overload after a rupture? Any ideas of what I should be doing to get things to calm down? Help! Thanks. Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
(female)

puparoo HB User
Re: Anyone (besides me) with Nervous System Overload After Cervical Herniation?

I have that.. a lot of your symptoms and my EMG/NCV and other tests appear to be normal. Back to neurosurgeon this afternoon for a check up going to discuss worsening symptoms... but again, with EMG/NCV showing up this way... he might tell me it's nothing.

Well see. I have twitching, transient pain, walk funny, etc... pain levels fairly low.
Some Cord Compression

Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User

Well, Puparoo, the doc finally called today, I have a slight disk herniation at C-3 C-4, with no rupture, spinal canal fine, not pressing on anything. So, why do I have these feelings. He feels that the facial tingling is from migraines, even though I don't have the headache while having these symptoms. I'm supposed to start the Topomax, to see if this helps. No lesions, no arthritis, just aging he says. If these strange sensations don't stop with the Topomax, then I don't know whats wrong with me. I'm thinking about going the Lyme route, I'm so furious right now, and I shoudn't be, I should be happy, I want to be happy, and I can't take this facial feathery feeling anymore, and, well, enough babbling, time will tell I guess. I would think that if it was MS, it would have shown after 8 years of symptoms. I'm getting ready for work, hope your appt. goes well. Thanks and well talk again I'm sure. Take care, Jen

Old 10-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

monarog, i have alot of the symptoms you have. i have a herniated disk in c5-6. i go in for surgery monday. at first i thought that this was chirpractic in nature. as my hips felt off and i couldnt walk very well. my legs felt heavy and weak. then other stuff started happening and my chiro realized it wasnt chiropractic related. so he sent me to neuro. i had numbness, tingling, twitches cramping, electrical shocks, etc. i started to think i had ms, as i had had these symptoms back in 2003. but they are worse now. my neuro surgeon advised me not to have my neck adjusted by the chiropractor, and to not crack my neck myself. he said it would only make it worse. the nuerologist and chiro seem to think that these symptoms will go away once i have the surgery. i have not had a mri of my lower back and they will do one 4-6 weeks post op to see if i have any problems there. a certain spot on my lower back feels funny. like its full or pressure is being put on it. its worse when i kinda bend my back a little. excercise makes my symptoms worse. last night i had to ride in the electric scooter at the store as i just couldnt walk anymore. hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
(female)

puparoo HB User

Loveshines,

What kind of surgery are you having? I'm so sorry for you having so many problems. Do you have cord compression, etc. at that cervical level too? Lumbar MRI will help to see if you have any thing going on down there . My bulge at L5 sits on my S1 and causes me sciatica and all kinds of problems, including hip pain, groin pain, pain down both legs, cramps in calves, etc... and occasionally leg twitching and numbness. Exercise varies for me, sometimes good sometimes bad.

I hope it makes everything better!
Some Cord Compression

Old 10-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

monarog HB User

Thanks for the input! Good luck with the surgery. I, like Cheryl, am interested in what kind of surgery you are going to have, we all share some common symptoms. I also, have 2 bulging discs in my lumbar area...I think it is L4/5 and L5/S1...I think! They take such a back seat to the grief my c6/7 has given me that I don't give it so much thought. But I do wonder what role they might be playing in the crazy neuro stuff. I am running from doc to doc trying to get better, it's almost ridiculous. I am going to see an Osteopath in a week or so and get his take on things. I will see another NS the first part of Nov. to see if he can give me some guidance. It's just constant, buzzing, tingling, twitching, numbness - somewhere, dizziness...it's all very exhausting. The worst part for me is the weird feeling like my nervous system is just plugged in and won't let up, hard to explain, but VERY uncomfortable, pretty much 24/7. Keep us posted on how things go, would you? Thanks. Mona

Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

i dont know what the name of the surgery is, but they are going to go in and scrape some bone out and then fuse c5/6. they will go in from the front.
i am really concerned that i have a lumbar or lower problem as well. i have had hip pain the last two days and can barely walk. it feels like something is poking me in my back and it hurts in that same spot when i laugh. so i may end up in surgery after i get an mri which wont be for 4-6 weeks post op.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hello,
I sure wish I had read this thread a few months ago! I am being eval'd for possible MS and Lyme right now. And I feel sure it is really my cervical C5-6 herniation that is the culprit.
I have a lumbar spine problem. I had a fusion surgery in '05 for that and it failed. While dealing with that I had a severe cervical episode and we got an MRI done just before my surgery to fix the failed fusion. Sure enough the herniation was there. It isn't really big on the MRI and though the nerve root compression is pretty severe, the stenosis was mild. The weakness and numbness let up so we went ahead with the surgery and planned a few epidural injections for the neck to get me through the recovery.
I had my first cervical epidural in Aug when I was 8 wks post-op from my second lumbar surgery. That first shot really improved my neck and arm pain. But soon after I developed vertigo. And when that let up I had new leg weakness and nerve pain. I started to have arm pain again and a next bout of vertigo-like stuff with gait disturbance and imbalance. Also, I had a very strange electrical sensation when I would turn my head sideways. I had a second epidural and my symptoms subsided for a few weeks. Arm and neck pain came back with a vengence and I was having severe spasms in my arms. I was also all fouled up with hip pain, gait disturnabce and that dang strange head sensation. I thought it was L'Hermitte's Sign or at least something similar. And now motion sickness set in. It seemd clear to me that this neck hernaition was the culprit and I was ready to face a next surgery if it would relieve my suffering.
Saw my neurosurgeon on Dec 19th - sick as a dog! He redid an MRI and C5-6 herniation was there and about the same as before. Doc found weakness all over and abnormal Hoffman's Sign (indicator of pressure on the spinal cord) reflex. But doc didn't think the herniation could explain my symptoms! Sent me to a neuro and now it is headlong towards MS and Lyme. The neuro also was sure the herniation was not the cause of my symptoms. All I've had so far is a brain MRI (not MS-like I'm told though I did have 5- 10 non-specific lesions). Oh, the vertigo got really bad for a week and I had to take anti-nausea meds. Still do.
I read your posts and it all looks familar to me. I don't know how to get these docs to slow down and rethink this MS stuff and consider what is staring us in the face: a large herniation. They both said no herniation could cause such severe leg and hip pain or my dizziness/vertigo and all. But me thinks it can from reading your stories. And MRIs (as I well know) aren't perfect. Maybe I have a more serious situation there and the MRi is 'wrong'. Well, I am going to tell your stories when I see my docs in the next week or so. It sure is nice to hear that the surgery to fix the herniation might rid me of these awful problems. I'd love to hear more of how you are doing. Take good care - Suzy-Q

Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Suzy-Q,

I don't have any infor for you regarding MS or lyme, but I do know the cervical stuff all to well. That arm pain that your talking about, is exactly what I was having. Some days it felt ok and then the next, right back to pain.

I sure am sorry that your going through so much, what a mess huh. I sure wish that you could get some definate answers!! I know that I'm not a Dr. but I would bet almost anything, if you had the cervical fusion, most all of that pain would be gone. Some cervical patients have back and leg problems and theres nothing wrong with the back per say, it's from the neck.

I have been wondering about you and how you were doing. Please let me know when you find out. I'm still usually on the back board.

Take care Suzy and I'll be praying for ya,

Bernie

Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hey Berbie!
What a surprise and a pleasure to see you here! How are you? I am having the devil's own time and no mistake. My lumbar fusion is ...fusing. Isn't that great? I'd do a dance but most days I am lucky if I can bend to put on my pants.
I saw the neuro today. She feels sure now that MS is not a likely explanation. Wonderful news. She ordered a bunch of blood work. But she wasn't very happy about my request that we rethink the cervical herniation. She clearly didn't like my questioning a previous opinion from her. But I did my best to smooth feathers and I agreed that we would check the blood and go from there. All of my reflexes were normal today.
In fact, I have been feeling MUCH better though I am some nauseous. I decided to test my theory by taking the max dose of Motrin to see if my symptoms subsided. Starting last Sunday I am taking 2400 mg Motrin a day. And my pain, stiffness, gait problems, neck pain, numbness in my hands and arms, pain in my hips and legs all dropped from a Level 8 on Satuday to a Level 2 on Monday. I had the best week I've had since .... a long time ago. It isn't proof but it is consistent with an inflammatory problem (like a herniated disc would cause)! My plan is to stop taking the Motrin on this Sunday and see if my symptoms return and how quickly.
The neuro pointed out that other things could be causing inflammation and so she ordered bloodwork like ANA and ESD or Sed Rate tests among other things. (Lyme, thyroid). That's fine BUT I had just got done telling her I am taking 2400 mg Mortin! If my SED rate comes back normal I'll have to wonder if that is only an artifact of the Motrin!!!! It is just so tiring to fight this sort of stuff for so long.
Anyway Bernie, I am struggling but I have hope. I really think my problem is my cervical herniation and I think I can deal with that and the symptoms once I am sure. I miss the back board. I lurk but I have been busy tracking all this new stuff down and getting information and advice from the most reliable source - people just like me! So good to talk with you. Take good care- Suzy-Q

Old 01-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
(male)

cmatthews1326 HB User

I had surgery on my c5-6 last year and was just fine. Now my hips hurt but when i start walking they are fine. I do have weird sensations all over my body just like you have said when you say nervous system overload. I get pain or tingling everywhere. When I am out and about I really don't notice it, iit is just when I am laying around. I can just sit and pinpoint where the next one is. I am not sure what to do. I am scared to go to the doctor because when I went and found out my prognosis for my neck it sent me into a deep depression.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Suzy-Q,

My son works in the medical field, and scolded me bit time for taking 2-800mg ibuprofens. Geez, you would have thought that he was the parent and I was the kid. His bottom line is that, that is to much to take at one time and that he'd learned in school and watched video, that showed it would tear your up.

Needless to say, it scared me. So, now I take one about every 8 hours. and it's been helping with my neck pain and swelling. Did your Dr. say anything about taking that much?

Suzy, no Dr. likes to be questioned regarding what they "say", however, they don't always listen to us, in return, misdiagnosis and then after upteen tests, they finally test what you were saying. Go figure.... I have definately learned from you on the back boards, that you have to be the advocate in your own care. I have great faith that you will get her or some other dr. to get to the bottom of whats going on.

My neck was doing great after my fusion, until about 3 months ago. Honestly, not my fault or anything that I could have done to prevent it, but I took about 4 different falls, and then boom, all most like every symptom that I was having before surgery was back. I was now even having some crackling noises when trying to roll my neck....to try and stretch... and then the popping...

To make a long story short........ I had ext/flex x-rays done, and from what the report says, my cervical fusion is matured, so I'm assuming that, that means I'm fused......THANK GOD!!

The back x-rays, look like a black hole, nothing there but the screws and rods. In that report it just says that "disc spaces are seen in place", not matured, not nothing about the fusion, just that they can see the screws and rods. They did mention that they see moderate degenerative changes at the posterior elements at L5-S1, and mild disc space loss at the same level. I don't know if that means the disc or the joints, what do you think?

The last time on a xray for my neck, it said that I had moderate ddd. Well when the pain didn't go away, thats when a Ct revealed a severly herniation at C5-6.

I'm so glad that your fusing!!! That is wonderful news and with everything else going on, you need that.

Well Suzy, you get your dr. to get to the bottom of this, so you can start getting some relief soon. Please let me know how you make out. By the way, your dearly missed on the back board!!

Take care,

Bernie

Old 01-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi C Matthews - Don't I know what you mean - I do my best to prep myself mentally before every doc app. We are so vulnerable when we are patients. A casual remark, the abrupt tone, one too many glances at the clock and any doctor can tear me down pretty quick. And I am very lucky because I have always been given reasons to feel good about my prognosis. I feel for you.

Hey Bernie,
I was put on 2400 mg a day of Motrin by my first surgeon back in '05. I took that dose for months - until I learned some docs believe NSAIDs lower fusion rates! My new surgeon said it was perfectly safe for me to take Motrin at 4 months post-op. But I wasn't taking any chances so I didn't touch the stuff. I am 7 months post-op now so I thought I could do my experiment. Only I seem to have forgotten that 2400 md/day is a RX dose! My neuro raised an eyebrow but she didn't flip out or chastise me. She simpy clarified for me that it was a high dose and one to be sure to tell my surgeon about and so on. Yes, Motrin can be hard on the stomach.
UGH - you fall too? I can't stay upright. I have fallen 3 times this week!!! I fell 6 times after my first surgery. I have been so careful this time. I use my cane and I wear grippers on my boots. My cane has ice grippers at the end. But we are covered in ice this week and I finally went down. @ of 3 falls only gave me bruises. The tumble this morning wasn't so gentle though. I am very sore. Luckily, I haven't ever heard anything dreadful like a crack like you describe. Ick.
I'd say your MRI report is describing the disc. A loss of height or disc space is usually due to DDD of the disc itself. And I am so sorry to know your issues continue. It seems for some of us that our spines are like dominoes, eh? You are too generous, Bernie, but I thank you for your kind words. The good folks on many of these boards have helped me on my strange medical journey. It is a lifeline. But I think I will need to get more educated on this cervical board. I was so sure that all I needed to do was get a few epidurals and I could back-burner my cervical herniation. Now, I am thinking it is front-and-center-time for C5-6! Well, I must get to bed. Always a pleasure - Suzy-Q

Closed Thread