It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
(male)

High Schooler HB User
Inguinal hernia surgery problems

I had severe inguinal hernia surgery about 2 years ago, and I'm still hurting pretty intensely whenever I excercise, and I'm still unable to lift weights.

I got it checked before Christmas and the surgeon said it hadn't reoccured, and it was probably just a muscle strain along the surgery spot. I'm starting to think it's the mesh pad he put in there. Should I get it checked again? Could I have to have surgery again? This SUCKS!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Inguinal hernia surgery problems

I have the same problem. They did a CAT scan and finally I had proof. The mesh has ripped away from my abdominal wall, and the anchors are loose as well. I see a surgeon tomorrow. By the way, my surgery was two years ago too. The most popular mesh has been recalled by the FDA for causing many problems, including what you are experiencing. Do an internet search for hernia mesh recall.

My surgery was in July 05, and I have the recalled mesh. All you have to do is ask your surgeon or hospital what type of mesh they used. This type was pretty standard, so you probably have it. You are not alone, and this is not all in your head. My surgeon wrote me off by saying, you shouldn't be having pain now.....blah, blah, blah. They wouldn't admit that there was a problem. But you know your own body, and when something is wrong. Let me know if I can help you further.

The Following User Says Thank You to butrfligirl28 For This Useful Post:
kdestep21 (07-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
(male)

FloridaChris HB User

I had this surgery done around 98/99 and have had pain ever since. The pain has come and gone. Here recently in the past month or so, it's gotten so bad it's made me start a search on the internet about it. Is it possible that I got one of the recalled patches, or was this too long ago?

Last edited by FloridaChris; 05-10-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Chris,

Not too sure if it's been too long ago, or not. Get your surgical records and they should mention the type of mesh used. That's how I found out. I typed the name of my mesh into a search engine, and got 1000's of hits on the recall.

However, I have talked to MANY people that have pain for other reasons. Even if yours is not listed, doesn't mean you don't have pain and problems. They need to do a full work-up on you, including a CAT scan. I ended up in the ER the pain was so bad, and the idiot doctor there said there was nothing wrong with my CAT scan.. However, three months later I had another one, and the doctor spotted it. (he looked at the scan from the er and says it was noticeable then too, but the doctor was "not skilled enough to see it.")

You know when something is not right. Find someone to help you. You shouldn't live with pain and problems, when there may be a cause. I wish you all the best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

By the way, there is another post a little further down on hernia surgery. Read it too.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
(male)

High Schooler HB User

The pain deep under my old incision has gotten severe, and I still have two weeks of school left. I don't know if I can make it through there, but I'm nearing exams and all kinds of projects, I wish I could just fast forward about 5 weeks. I think I'm going to get my hernia checked again soon, but I know the surgeon will just say it's scar tissue. I also have athletics at school and the coaches won't let me slack off even though I'm having these pains. What should I do?

Closed Thread