It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

cindyNy658 HB User
Smile Question for people with acid reflux or hiatel hernia

My question is do any of you experience shortness of breath and chest pain on exertion? Or just shortness of breath on exertion? Thank you to anyone that replies.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Question for people with acid reflux or hiatel hernia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyNy658 View Post
My question is do any of you experience shortness of breath and chest pain on exertion? Or just shortness of breath on exertion? Thank you to anyone that replies.
Cindy,

I get both. It got so bad recently I could hardly breathe or walk a very short distance. My problems are caused mostly by the drugs I am on. The severe breathing problems and stomach/acid problems can be attributed to my rx meds. My breathing is better now as I discontinued the worst offender, but I still have episodes during exertion. Nexium helped with the acidy part.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-13-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

cindyNy658 HB User

Flowergirl, thank you so much for your response. The reason I ask is becuase for the last year my doctor has been treating me for copd and through some of the tests I have had I did find out I have a small hiatel hernia, and some acid relux, although very seldom do I have heartburn, but do have stomach problems when I eat certain foods and have had a lot of chest pain and shortness of breath, Usually on exertion, but not always. Anyways I went to the pulmonologist yesterday and he says he does not see anything that would cause that, Said I should be able to run a marathon with my numbers. He doesn't even think I have copd. I have been to the cardiologist and last year and this year had a nuclear stress test that came out fine. I go back to her on Monday, because she said if the tests came out good we might do another heart cath, like I had done two years ago, but was ok then. She said the tests are not 100%. At one time I did ask my doctor if she thought it was my acid reflux and she said no , it wouldn't cause shortness of breath and chest pain on exertion. I just thought I would ask people that actually experience acid reflux, thought you all would know best. This is all just so frustrating, not knowing for sure what is causing it. Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Cindy

Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
(male)

Roscoe36 HB User

I have a small hiatal hernia and have a lot of the heart-related symptoms (chest pain, weight gain, shortness of breath). However, I can run for miles and feel fine. When I lift something, also no shortness of breath.

Most concerning for me is the shortness of breath I have when lying down at night. A lot of internet searches show me that that is attributed to heart problems. Couldn't that also be a hiatal hernia/GERD thing? It is scary.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

garden715 HB User

I have been recently experiencing shortness of breath upon exertion (about a week and a half now). I've had acid reflux and have been taking prilosec since last fall/winter. I had a scope and my GI doctor said continue taking prilosec til July so some stomach irritation could clear up. I stopped beginning of July and could feel some symptoms within a day or two. About 1 1/2 weeks ago I bent over shortly after eating breakfast (cereal and blueberries) and immediately felt a hot sensation up into my chest and neck which bothered me for a little while that day. I then noticed a couple of days later that I would have shortness of breath upon exertion like coming up the stairs from the basement or taking a walk. (The night before this happened I did an aerobic tape plus 20 minutes on my treadmill with no problem). I just took a walk tonight and felt short of breath - very uncomfortable. Doctor told me yesterday that breathing tubes are probably irritated and have to heal. I've been back on prilosec for over a week now and getting frustrated.

Last edited by garden715; 07-20-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: to add more info

Old 07-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyNy658 View Post
The short answer, sometimes. I don't experience heart burn anymore, only pain/discomfort from the top of my stomach all the way up. If I don't have a hernia, which I should find out in the coming weeks, I'll be extremely surprised.

Like most that have commented thus far, I workout 20-30mins every other day. Get the 'ol heart rate up between 125-145 and go go go with out any discomfort...mostly. Now, with that said, I don't really "exert" myself other than aerobic -ly, trying to lose weight.

Today I was cleaning the house (getting ready to sell), lifting boxes, bending over a LOT, up and down the steps numerous times and I'll tell ya, I've had discomfort all day long even with taking my Nexium and a Zantac.

One thing I've found that helps for me when I get somewhat short of breath is to do some deep breathing exercises. Take a deep (as deeply as possible) and hold it, imagine that breath starting high in the chest and "push" it down as far as possible....arch back on inhale, hold, and "scrunch" your chin down, pushing stomach out, and try to get the breath far down. Seems to work for me...most of the time. /shrug

-Shawn

Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
(female)

alise1980 HB User

I have a hiata hernia, and bad acid reflux I take prevacid and it's helped somewhat. I don't get the burning pain that much except in my throat, I get heavy pressure in my chest.

Closed Thread