It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Small Hiatal Hernia : questions

Hi,

I am 53 and recently had a Virtual colonoscopy and it sees much more than the colon and saw other organs. Anyway, everything came out fine except it said minimal diverticulosis and small hiatal hernia. My dr. explained both and for the first recommended more fiber (he said it was very minimal); and for the 2nd he said it is very common in those over 50 and in fact 60 percent of people have them. If small he said it usually does not cause problems and I may have been born with it . If it does induce symptoms they are acid reflux and heartburn, etc. , which I know anyone on this board is familar with.

Since I am a female in the midst of perimenopause and one of my big symptoms is anxiety to the max , I fret over many a twinge here and there. In my whole life the times I have taken any meds for indigestion can be counted on 2 hands, so indigestion has not been a problem for me. Of course when I heard about the small hiatal hernia I started to feel like I was getting indigestion and my guess is that I created acid in my stomach (if that is possible !!) with my fretting 2 weeks ago when I found this out. Is this possible..that is, is anxiety a trigger for hiatal hernia symptoms?

Also I have always noticed if I have a bigger meal in the evening that some times (rarely but at times) that it will "sit heavy on me" around the sternum, only way I can describe it. like I need to take more of a breath. again, anxiety does this too.

Long post ,and I apologize but to just sum up my questions :

Do any of you have a "small hiatal hernia" that is not problematic?

What do you take for times when you have issues?

Does anxiety worsen this issue?

Thanks for listening to what I am sure sounds like a silly post!!

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
(female)

nanarich1 HB User
Re: Small Hiatal Hernia : questions

I just had an endoscopy and found out I have a hiatus hernia. It seems as though I go through aniexty with it as well. I have been put on Aciphex which helps some but if I am full or bend over, it really gets to me. My stomach burns as if gasoline was poured on it and someone lit a match..For now they have me to take Ativan (0.5mg) which helps tremendously!! It is a life saver at times!! My gallbladder also works at a 15% so I am going to talk with a surgeon about both. Good Luck

Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Re: Small Hiatal Hernia : questions

Hi thanks for your response.

Have never had that burning. And rarely have had indigestion.

Glad that you are taking something that helps as that has to be awful.

Guess from what I have been reading a lot of people do not have symptoms so I hope it stays that way for me. The dr. did say that it was small and if there were symptoms (indigestion issues) OTC stuff would help.

I am sure my anxiety that one week really didn't help.

THanks again for the input.

rmc

Closed Thread