It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

parcarp HB User
Herniated L1/L2 disk, Anyone else here had this issue or surg?

I am 6 days from a decompression laminectomy of my L1/L2 disk which is bulging to the left and central into the spinal canal. After seeing a Neur Sx who said that my sypmtoms of pain were not indicative of that level of herniation I got a second opin from a Prof. of neur sur at Wayne state Univ in Mich, and she can see exactly why I am in pain. I just want to know if anyone else has had this procedure for that level herniation since it is "rare" by text book classifications, and it is also textbook classified as only having a 3% sucess rate.

Thanks!
Parcarp

Old 09-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Herniated L1/L2 disk, Anyone else here had this issue or surg?

Hi, parcarp, and welcome to the board. I'm sorry that no one has answered you as yet, but I'm sure they will.

You're right in that the L1-2 is an unusual place for a first breakdown of a disc. I'm wondering if you were ever in an accident of some kind, or took a fall or hard hit to your back?? It's just very unusual for that disc to be the first to go.

I've not had that area fused, but have had others done. Since you've had 2 opinions of opposite conclusions, have you thought about getting a 3rd opinion? What kind of symptoms are you having? Have you looked at a dermatome map to see if your symptoms do line up with the area of rupture?

Lots of questions I know, but I really think you need to get those answered before you go ahead with this surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

parcarp HB User

Hi Carol,
Thank you for replying, and I apologize for not seeing it sooner, had lots to do before surgery.

First, about an accident or fall, I took a hard fall in 2000/2001 and hit my tailbone on the cement parking lot where I worked. 9 months of intense pain, PT, etc. Finally just disappeared. Last summer (May 2006) I woke up one day and could sit, bend, lay down, miserable! Had a MRI in July finally and showed bulging disks at L1/L2 (minor), L3/L4, L5/S1. Took until about the end of Oct with some PT and meds to get me right, and I really did pretty good! Then this round started in March this year, and so I had 8 weeks of PT, then the MRI showing the "significant" bulge at L1/L2, had 2 steroid injections, they had stopped PT immediately after the MRI because they were afraid of damage, that should have been my first clue as to the damage....pain increased, increased increased, then of course like I said, had one surgeon say "not typical" and then the other one say "Oh yeah, absolutely typical". Well I went ahead with the surgery, I am 4/5day post surg now, and I can tell some differences in the pain. At first all I could feel was the incision pain, "ouch" is all I can say. But I can tell that the pain of compression has eased up some. Now today, I am having some real tight aching/pain at my S1 levels, pain pills working ok, (on dilaudid q4 hrs and percocet q 4 in between) started my motrin again, so I am just trying to heal. The surgeon told my husband that there was quite a bit of nerve compression, she did the surg under zoom imaging so she was real sure she got all of the disk out of the way, she did the lamenectomy as well to prevent further issues. I know that doesn't mean there won't be but, all I can do is try for now right? So I see her again Friday the 28th, and get the next set of instructions on recovery.
I went ahead with the surgery because the nerve problems were becoming more involved day by day. I was losing strength in my left leg/foot, and she said that she would do an emg and show me the nerve damage if I wanted, but said eventually, either I would totally rupture, or it would push so far out I would lose control of my leg/bowels/bladder, and possibly have permanent damage done. I feel ok mostly, the incision pain is down today, I slept all night last night! First time in months! I am doing some board scanning to see what else I can/might expect, some helpful hints, etc. I figured that even if I have to have a fusion later, that I would prefer that to not being able to have a life, of having a life addicted to narcotics. Neither would be good for anyone.
Just thought I would see if anyone had the same level issues, because of course there isn't much out there on the topic, but this surgeon is the Professor of Neuro Surg at Wayne State University here in Mich, she is nationally recognized for all kinds of medical advancements, and she is very nice. Except for the nurse on midnights who was sick and didn't give a flip about getting me my medications on time, the whole experience wasn't too awful, "yet"! The worse part right now is fighting with hubby on what I can and can't do, what meds I can take, etc. He would wipe my butt if I let him!
Paulette

Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

kixxyk1984 HB User

hi, parcarp I can relate to what you have gone through, I see this was in 07, I have been diagnosed with bulging disc of L1 and L2, have had epideral injections, bone scan, now just last week discogram, and have gone to dr after dr and noone wants to do surgery, I have the most pain while sitting.On monday I will be calling back to clinic and demand surgery dont know if it will do me any good but going to try, I have been dealing with this way too long, did therapy,chiropractic, no relief.I also have been told I have scoliosis so how are you doing now? I dont have pain down the leg but numbness and tingling in my toes.

Reply Reply