It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

WhereIsTheLight HB User
Hernia in the neck ...... how to relef pain? grandma's ways, no medication

Hello.

Hope you can help. Hernias in the neck are bothering me right now.

Beside headaches, my balance is affected. Each movement brings pain, sharp pain to the head and seems that everything is moving or spinning depends on the moment.... sounds and light are amplified obviously.....
been there so I know in the soon to come, getting out of bed will be hard as nausea will soon come along.

I am already on different medication yet non seem to help when it hits the neck part.

Would you say try heat or cold? I am not sure what to try that is not medication to find relief........ my stomach wont stand anymore medication so would like something 'old grandma's remedies' ...... any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Hernia in the neck ...... how to relef pain? grandma's ways, no medication

i am assuming you are talking about actual herniations within the c spine area?was this confirmed with an MRI or x ray?marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
(female)

WhereIsTheLight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
i am assuming you are talking about actual herniations within the c spine area?was this confirmed with an MRI or x ray?marcia
Yes, it was confirmed by both and the last check shows signs of distress in both arms and would explain headaches, loss of balance (world is turning roung even laying down still in bed), loss of strenght, pins, needles, numbness, neck-shoulders-elbow-wrists and hands' soreness and so forth ..... affecting head, neck, shoulders and both arms. I am reaching the point of 'si'ing' just to distract the pain (slamming my hands wherever is handy.... walls-table or else that will hurt but distract the pain and atttention to that round the clock soreness as nothing has helped so far and surgery is out of question..... too many scar tissues due to too many surgeries and the problem just come back endlessly few years (when lucky) later...... only neck surgery hasn't been tried but the risks involved are not to my liking so rather go for old good grandma remedies as lots of them work even today...... but dont know which one to try for that problem). Perhaps I should add that beside hernias in the neck, I also have suffered (surgeries done as said before) and still suffer from it in both arms and feet.

Cant ask me not to use my hands or arms, all in life requires their use so I am looking for ways (old style medicine ...... I am really fed up being a guinny pig to end up with no positive outcomes if not those added by side effects (negative) to reduce the pain.

Thank you for your attention

Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you said this was indeed confirmed but not by what exactly,just your symptomology or an actual MRI that would show down to the nerve level?it really truely sounds like you are suffering horribly with this,while i know surgery isn't something anyone actually wants,if those herniations are too extruded or impinging or compressing real actual nerves(which it most defintiely appears from your symptoms)the only true way of relieveing that would be thru surgical intervention of some kind.unfortunetly impinged nerves are trapped nerves and wont get better on their own until whatever has them trapped is relieved.sorry to have to lay that on you,but it is true.

the type of pain process you are having is radiculopathy and there really isn't any actual old time remedys for this level of pain.its becasue the actual pain is stemming from that compromised nerve or nerves.it is nerve pain in and of itself and creates its own little type of hell.the thing about radiculopathy is it will slowly stop your actual arms ability to move once it reaches a certain level,not to mention the possibility of permanent nerve damage there too.its an ugly situation that alot of us have had to deal with and go thru.you can try various therepys and or injections but that main pain generator is still going to be there you know what i mean?perhaps seeing a good pain management doc would help you in the best way other than the surgical route,but its just a bandaid type of treatment.i am sorry i cannot be of more help to you.sometimes we have to do a surgery just becasue we have run out of any other options.i have been forced into that situation myself.but it did help in the long run with one particular surgery stopping me from becoming paralyzed from my chest down.that decision is of course up to to,but you really have to look hard at the true reality of what you are actually dealing with inside your c spine.you really shouldn't have to suffer with this like you are,thats all. i hope things will go well for you.please keep me posted on how you are doing,K?

Old 10-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

WhereIsTheLight HB User

Thank you for your post. I know what lays ahead of me if not going for surgery for the neck. I already see the progressing in loss of strenght, ability to lift them, weakness, numbness, extreme soreness (cant stand it at times) or use them (cant hold a pen or fourk lets forget a knife to prepare food), etc...... apart from the pain that is increasing.

It was confirmed by all tests done, mri - cat, xrays, etc...elect. mesurement, blood flow etc testings.. oh well i've been more in hosp. doing tests then home these last months.

I have been through numerous surgeries and so far none has been of any help and still they should re-operate yet it is impossible due to numerous scar tissues. Result? Chronic pain for life under pain management which is not to my liking but out of choice... Even though I am followed in pain management the level I am onto (high level patch and liquid form) do not completely relieve the pain anymore.... not always as it raises and lowers but at peak times, nothing helps if not literaly slam my hands - arms as said before. Sounds sick but it works at least for a little while. Can't smash my head on the walls though!

Surgeon has been honest on this. No more surgeries for me (on arms-hands)..... the % that it works (neck) is rather low and he bluntly told me that he cant promise me a painless life afterwards. (neck-arms wise but for other problems got to get used to it and haaven't after years and years and years) Sounded like a warning of some sort which alerted me. After bad outcomes and results to surgeries I am not encline towards this road.

I wish to find something to try that is non surgical. I've suffer for years and hasn't killed me so far so if there is a slight chance that old grandma had something in her bag that one might still remember, I'll give it a try before considering surgery which is the last thing on my mind.

by the way, when your fingernails and tip of fingers turn darkish red-blue it is by lack of circulation. i find bathing in very hot water helpful but massaging hands - wrists makes them trubbbbbbb any adivce ? I use a warming pad for the neck and it smooths the stiffness other than that no relief or else.

I was thinking to get myself a pair of gloves to wear indoor (another weird thing but oh well, anything that helps am for it. If you have any ideas or tips on what has helped you along the road, please share itwith me. I could really use it-them.

Is life worth all these pains? I am starting to think it over lately.

Before closing, how well have you recuperate from your own surgery? Are you now pain free?

Be well
WITL
xx

Last edited by WhereIsTheLight; 10-15-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: adding info forgotten pertinent to prior post to mine.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
(female)

Lianethebest3 HB User

30 years of numbness and tingling in hands and arms and pain in right scapula. Dismissed because normal emg back then. recently diagnosed with cervical radiapathy I know i spelled it wrong. My dr also believes I have an additional problem in my wrist but recently had normal emg. I do not have a herniation but they said my neck was degenerative and they called it a pinched nerve over the past two years its really been increasing with symtoms with my shoulder pain and numbing, pain and weakness in my hands and wrist, fine motor skills going and on short term disability from work awaiting a firm diagnosis and planned form of treatment. Have not had an mri as I had internal/external spinal fusion with a titanium rod inserted the entire length of my back. Can't ever have an mri because of the titanium rod. Do you think i need neck surgery. please help

Closed Thread