It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

mountain14 HB User
post-op problems with inguinal hernia repair

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience with inguinal hernia repair? I need some support. I had the operation last thursday to repair TWO hernias with mesh. This is my first surgery so I really didnt know what to expect. I had to go to the emergency room the night after the surgery because I did not urinate for 13 hours and they had to do it for me with a catheter. Since then I have been able to urinate on my own and it has progressively gotten better. To top this off on Sunday I had a serious case of constipation in which I was trying to have a BM for several hours and had severe pain. After this I was physically and emotionally exhausted and slept for about 18 hours. It is Tuesday now. I am feeling much better but the whole process had been so draining both physically and emotionally. I feel like I was stabbed twice in the groin and then hit over the head with a baseball bat. Can someone tell me this is normal?. I am 29 and also wondering why this is happening to me so young. I am still in a lot of pain and walking around like an old man. It doesnt help matters that everyone at work keeps telling me how young I am to have this happen. Is this supposed to happen to me at 29? Was I supposed to have the urinary problems? They told me it was a bad reaction to the anaesthesia but I am not so sure. I am 29 and athletic and have otherwise always been healthy. I think I may have caused the hernia with careless heavy lifting but I dont really know. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was not in a lot of pain before the surgery and am wondering if I should have just left the hernias alone. I am looking for someone with knowledge who can shed some light on the whole experience because the situation has left me very depressed and exhausted.

The following user gives a hug of support to mountain14:
fluffy32 (12-27-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
(male)

blwaters HB User
Re: post-op problems with inguinal hernia repair

I had double repair in February 2006. It was done as an outpatient surgery, but I could not leave until I could go pee. So I don't know why you were released without being made to pee first, but it is the anestesia that gives you that problem. As for the constipation, I was constipated for honestly about 3 weeks. Remeber someone was messing with all of your guts, it takes time for them to get back in sync. The Vicadin caused alot of that though as well. As for your age, it happens at any age when there is alot of strain. I was 30 and had been having pain that felt like a pulled groin muscle after standing for extended periods of time. That is how I found out. The doctor could not tell me what exactly caused it though. I think it was a combination of warehouse jobs, military, and wearing my 20lb. gunbelt all day. I recovered very well in fact my left side incision does even have a visible scar and my right side can barely be seen. As for pain, yes I am having severe pain. It started about a year after my surgery in my left testicle which now doesn't hang as low as the right one, but the pain shoots from the testicle up the crease of my leg around to the side of my stomach. The first time it went away after about 2 weeks, but it came back after six months and I have seen my surgeon and been to a urologist and had sonograms on my scrotum. The consensus is that my body healed so well from the surgery that the scar tissue which does not stretch or move is causing restriction on my epiditimus. That is causing swelling and the swelling is what hurts so bad. The urologist prescribed me Mobic, which is the strongest anti-inflammatory that you can take and that did not help. In other words I will be living in pain for the rest of my life taking Ibuprofen forever. I do not want to leave law enforcement, but it seems that I have no choice. The 20lb. gunbelt causes alot of the pressure that causes the swelling. Hopefully when I can lose the gunbelt from everyday wear alot of my pain will go away. I have found lately though that I hurt just as bad on my days off as I do when I am in uniform, I just don't know if that is from wearing the belt all week or if it will hurt that bad all of the time. I am not trying to scare you, but that is why I am on here to see how many other people are having the same pain and it seems that no one has found an answer different then what I have been told. If anyone out there has, please let me know.

Closed Thread