It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
Lyme Disease / herniated disc connection

Through my research I've found out that many doctors believe herniated discs can be caused by Lyme. Well, I just came through a major herniated disc (largest my doctor had ever seen) several months back. I'm relatively young, and definitely not overweight, so it was a bit of a mystery to my doctor and physio therapist why this happened to me.

Anyway... I have NOT been diagnosed with LD. Seeing a LLMD next month.

But, does anyone happen to know exactly what the connection is? Is it just that the bacteria messes with the structure of the disc? I'm quite curious about this.

Thanks...

kd

Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Lyme Disease / herniated disc connection

I went to the chiropractor 3 to 4 times a week during my "really" ill time. Now I don't go at all after years of treatment...

I was told by surgeons that I needed to have my neck fused, surgeries on my wrist for carpel tunnel and tendonitis...That my disk were herniated...My bones were disolving rapidly....ugh!

I had none of the things done that I was told by these so called wonderful doctors...Thank GOD for that!

In my thoughts I would think that since the bacterias, virus's and such get into our bone, muscles, joints every part of us. I would think that it weakens everything. So our muscles and tendons can't keep things pulled together...And our bones are weak...I wouldn't freak out too much and becareful on what you let these doctors suggest what should be done. Surgery wise I mean...

Hope you find some answers when you go to the lyme doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

kdmari HB User

Thanks Jojo. Actually after my herniation I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he didn't recommend surgery unless the pain comes back, which, thankfully, so far it hasn't.

All the more reason though, for me to get more Lyme testing. If it was caused by Lyme, I suppose chances are that this could happen to me again. I can't imagine going through it over again.... !

Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
(female)

monarog HB User

Let me first say, I have not been diagnosed with Lyme. I was a very active runner. Looking back, prior to my large disc herniation in my neck 2.5 years ago, I had a couple of years of crazy night sweats, a spot on the inside of my arm that would itch like crazy off and on, sometimes with small red dots, sometimes not. The nagging neck pain then started for 4-6 months, then boom, the herniation - out of the blue, okay, and let me say right now, there is a word I want to use, rather than "out of the blue," but I simply cannot retrieve it. I dealt with this horrible pain for 6 months, was told it would get better, when all the neuro symptoms hit me. Finally, 8 months later, it was determined that the disc was compressing my spinal cord and surgery was necessary. Unfortunately, since that surgery 9 months ago, the neuro symptoms remain. I feel like a walking electrical wire, I twitch - everywhere, tingle, have numbness all over including face and tongue, when my nervous system is really cranked up it causes tremors, suddenly I have high BP (was always a "runner's low BP" until the neuro stuff started), dizzy, balance off, sometimes too much saliva - sometimes not, sometimes light sensitive - sometimes not, still, since surgery, the neck/arm pain remain. When the neuro stuff started, this may sound weird, but I was getting static shocked from EVERYTHING I touched, mind you, this was in April 2006 and the shocking continued all during the summer....no one else I knew was having this issue in the summer, I asked them. I have been through the testing mill with brain MRI's, spinal tap, blood work including Lyme - negative. I am hopeful as am seeing a doc who sounds very willing to investigate more - as I know another of her patients. She does a very thorough work up, uses Igenex and other labs and is open to the idea that someone in the Northwest can actually be infected with this horrible disease, every other doc basically says that's next to impossible and also are just totally uneducated about the disease. Most docs give me a blank stare when I tell them my laundry list of symptoms, try to give me some Valium and send me on my way. I have read through many Lyme symptoms, my question....anyone experience major static shocking? What about the saliva deal? The sudden elevated BP? I've not read about these as symptoms. Whatever my problem is, it's not in my head. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. The whole herniation thing caught my eye as I've been there, done that and am still sick. Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

kdmari HB User

Hi Monarog. I've been having Lyme-like symptoms on again off again for 12 years now. Since my herniated disc in the summer I've been really bad again - I rarely leave the house, dizzy, light-headed, so tired I can't concentrate on even the simplest tasks, shooting pains, sore muscles, stiff (I could go on and on). I'm thinking that it's probably because of all the pain killers I was on all summer, everything from basic over the counter stuff to narcotics and finally morphine at one point where it was so bad I wanted to die. I think the drugs were too much of a load for my body and messed with my immune system. I, too, am (aside from these strange symptoms that have been plaguing all these years) a very fit person, and every doctor I saw thought it strange that I should have ruptured a disc.
I definitely haven't had the saliva problem - I get the opposite - an extremely dry mouth every night, in spite of drinking gallons of water.
I do get shocks more than your average though. Never thought anything of it though. Is that supposed to indicate something's amiss???
High blood pressure... I have occasionally had a high reading when I see my doctor, causing her to give me one of those long 20-minute bp readings, which always comes back fine. I don't think that's a problem for me, although quite often I suddenly get extremely flushed and light-headed feeling... don't know if that has anything to do with bp.
I hope you get some answers. By the way, how did your surgery go? My foot and leg below my knee are still just as numb as they were on the last day of May when this started. I'm concerned that by this point, I'm not going to get that feeling back. I hope I made the right decision to avoid surgery.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

monarog HB User

Hi kdmari,
For me, I want to emphasize, for ME, the surgery was a breeze. I had ACDF w/ donor bone, plate and screws. I was in the surgery center mid morning and home by late afternoon. The unfortunate thing is it really hasn't changed my terrible symptoms at all. Funny about the saliva thing, like right now, my mouth is crazy-dry, of course, with my usual weird, numb tongue - the tongue thing is almost a constant, numb, or feels swollen or hurts and burns - it's ALWAYS something. Next think I know I want to spit as I am producing so much saliva. Everytime I have been to the doc since the whole neuro stuff hit, by BP is consistently high. Prior to all of this, whenever I would go to a doc, had my kids in the hospital etc., upon taking my pulse and BP the nurses would always ask, "Do you exercise alot? Oh, that explains your low pulse and BP." So, for me this was a very sudden onset/change accompanied by my laundry list of other junk I already mentioned. I wll be interested to see if anyone else comments on the static shocking issue, BP level etc. I KNOW there is something just assaulting me, whether it be some other disease or what, I don't know. I just don't think my disc could cause all of this. I have also had several instances of Raynaud's Phenomenon, where I get just little cold on my hands or feet, then my fingers or toes will go so numb and are white, white, like frost-bite, stay that way for 30 minutes or so and then go away. One doc said from nerve compression, another said a circulatory thing, maybe it can be either/or....I just know something is very messed up and so far, now answers, ugh! Hope you start feeling better soon.

Closed Thread