It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
(male)

jdixon HB User
Could groin pain be the symptoms of a re-herniation

Hello everyone,

In March 2007 I had a microdisectomy on the L4/L5 for a herniated disc. My symptoms were major back pain, pain/tightness in my left buttock and numbness/sciatica down my left leg.

Since the surgery, I was following my doctors instructions and allocating at least 1.5 hours each day for stretching, strengthening and cardio. Things were going really well and my back felt like I was 16 years old.

4 weeks ago, I sneezed and felt a twinge in my lower back. The next day my whole lower back was sore and I couldn't bend over to put my socks/shoes on. After 1 week the lower back pain went away.

For the past 3 weeks, when I stand or walk for more than 5 minutes, I feel tightness and a dull throbbing pain in my left buttock. After a few seconds, the pain radiates into my groin and is a combination of a dull ache and a constant throbbing. The throbbing is intense and , for lack of better words, feels like someone is hitting my left testicle with a sledgehammer. It gets to a point where the throbbing is so intense that I have to sit/lie down. Last night I was doing groceries with my wife and had to sit down on a stack of dog food to temporarily stop the pain.

If I sit or lie down, the pain/throbbing immediately goes away....and when I stand up, it starts all over again in roughly 5 minutes.

I'm generally an "uptight" guy and a butt clencher, so I've been trying to make sure I'm not tightening up my glutes while walking/standing/working/sitting etc, but regardless of whether they are relaxed or not, the pain starts.

Has anyone ever felt these symptoms? I'm obviously worried that I may have reherniated the disc. My family doctor said it could be as simple as my left glute muscle being extremely tight and perhaps some deep tissue massages may help.

I can feel quite a lump in my left buttock which is roughly 1.5' long and wide, but I'm not sure what is causing the tightness.

I have an appointment with my surgeon at the end of February.

The thing that confuses me, is that it takes around 5 minutes for the pain to start and I can immediately relieve the pain by sitting or lying down.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Regards,
James

Last edited by jdixon; 02-10-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcda HB User
Re: Could groin pain be the symptoms of a re-herniation

Hello and welcome to the board, "J". You will easily find that everyone here is more than willing to help you with any questions or problems that you may have. Although I haven't had any back surgery (yet), I do know that at times, I have severe "groin pain." It is an intense burning sensation, along with the usual sciatica nerve pain (down my left buttock and leg). I have Degenerative Disc Disease, that is causing spinal abnormalities, throughout my spine. Please keep us all updated about your condition and about the results of your upcoming appointment!

Closed Thread