It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
(male)

hvanderryt HB User
colostomy abdominal hernia

Due to the subject hernia, My colostomy wound has dropped about four
inches. Also a large section of my large intestant has drppped to the bottom of my abdominal cavity. It appears to rest partially on my bladder and has distended my skin noticably on the left side.
What are the possible problems this may cause. I have researched some possible problems. I would like info to support or debunk my findings

Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
(female)

larbo's wife HB User
Re: colostomy abdominal hernia

Hi, My husband developed a fairly large hernia near his stoma also. he has had his ostomy reversed , but still has a large noticeable hernia where his stoma was located. He had major problems with wear time with his appliances with the hernia. Before the hernia developed he could get at least 5 days of wear time. As the hernia became larger ,his wear time became shorter. The weeks before his reversal he was having to change appliances every day.
He is doing great these days. He is planning on having hernia repair surgery sometime in the future. He has had a couple of blockages due to the hernia. They were very scary and painful but eventually things moved on their own without resorting to surgery. The doctors and I would like him to lose weight before he has the hernia repair done. He is a big man and as result chances are not good that the hernia repair will hold up.
All in all it seems a small price to pay as today he is NED 2 1/2 years after being diagnosed with stage III rectal cancer. ,Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread