It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
(female)

kdmari HB User
Continuing problems with walking after herniated disc

Hi there, I haven't been back here for a while. 9 months ago I had a severe disc herniation at L5-S1. Unimaginable pain for 3 months and then one day I woke up and the pain was better. It took 2 more months until I could walk normally again, but the pain didn't return.

So here I am 3 months later... most of my foot and the entire right side of my right leg are still just as numb as the day this all started. And I still tire out with walking. I have many days, like today, where just walking around my condo is uncomfortable. Sitting for any length of time is also uncomfortable in my lower back.

In the beggining I went to physio a lot, and she was good... has specialized in helping people with disc problems for many years. But after 10 or so treatments she said I just wasn't responding to traditional physio and urged me to get into a surgeon asap. A couple months later I was finally able to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon and he told me that he wouldn't want to do surgery unless the severe pain came back. And that basically, time heals, but not to necessarily expect the numbness to get better.

I've also had a phone consultation with a neurosurgeon's assistant and he told me the same thing.

I'm going to go back to my doctor again and update her. But will this ever get better? Are there exercises I should be doing? Will walking every day help? Should I get back into physio? I don't know what to do...! Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks for listening to my novel!

kd

p.s. I'm 36, and in good shape otherwise... not overweight at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Continuing problems with walking after herniated disc

I remember you!! I am so sorry the pain has returned and pray that it will settle down as quickly and disappear again.

I don't think any of us can say whether it will get any better or not. Each case is unique and you were very lucky last time that the pain went away so who knows it might go away again. I would return to your surgeon, get his opinion and see if he thinks thinks whether or not physical therapy would be of any benefit for you.

Please keep us posted and good luck.

Closed Thread