It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
(male)

luckydesigns HB User
herniated disc C3-C4

Hi, I am a 45 year old male recovering from a herniated disc surgery. I had surgery on my C3-C4 disc about 5 days ago. The disc was putting pressure on my spinal cord causing severe neck and shoulder pain. The injury happened back in early january of 2008 which at the time caused severe pain in my neck and down my right arm. After trying steroid treatment followed by physical therapy I finally decided to have the surgery to correct the problem. I only wish I had made the decision much earlier. All of the pain in my neck and right shoulder went away once the disc was replaced. However, since the surgery I have been experiencing a constant pain in my upper left arm. The pain is almost like I recieved a shot in the arm and the pain has been there for almost a week. I am not sure if this is normal since I had no pain in this arm prior to the surgery. Does this sound normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: herniated disc C3-C4

since you "just' very recently had the fusion done,this could be a few different things simply realted to post op stuff,like swelling?swelling unfortunetly can be minimal or much more profound,it all depends on a few different factors.BUT,and this is only because this is pretty much 'new' pain,i would definitely at the very least,contact your surgeons office and at least let them know about it.this just needs to be monitored by you to see how it works itself out or if it doesn't,you know what i mean?

one very helpful thing i have done post op after every one of my six surgeries and one aneurysm coiling is kept kind of a little journal type thing of how the recovery process is going.it really does help alot,espescially when you need to speak to your surgeons office or have the follow up appts.just bring it with you and you wont forget some possibly important symptom or some new neuro wierd thing that occured over the time since you saw your surgeon last.it helps in other ways too.its just a really good thing to do for yourself,really.

just how much real contact was there pre op per your MRI report to the actual cord?your 'new' pain or any other neuro symptoms could be possibly related to some level of actual damage or your cord trying to recover itself right now(did you happen to see the word 'myelomalacia" written anywhere in your report?),or it could just be the spinal nerves are a bit inflammed from being pushed around in your c spine during your surgery.alot really depends upon just exactly what your surgeon had to do to try and 'fix' the area and pre existing cord involvement prior.

do you happen to have a copy of your pre op MRI in your possession?if not,obtain one.you can request this from your primary doc(if he is the one who actually refered you for it),surgeon or the place where you actually had the MRI done.anyone who has an MRI done anywhere just really does need to always get their own copy.unfortuently,you are not always really told just what findings were even IN that report.it does happen,way too often.just read thru it or post the summary here so i can see what the most pertinent findings were pre op.that would help alot.

just what exactly does that new pain feel like and any other 'new" stuff you may be feeling right now?alot of this type of stuff IS pretty normal and will go away eventually,but it still should be reported to your suregons office.and keeping that journal really does help you to remember things that occured during your recovery that can be easy to forget when you actually get to spend the like five whole minutes with your suregon in your follow up appt.

just an FYI here in case they did not tell you this at some point?do not take any NSAID types of meds like advil or aleeve,just because these types of meds actually inhibit bone fusion.found that one out AFTER the fact.no one at my surgeons office told me not to take it so i was using it alot and of course,my fusion failed.i do hope things feel better for you soon.please let me know the info i asked about if you can.also keep me posted as to how things are going. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread