It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

carolann3123 HB User
Pros and Cons of Incisional Hernia Surgery

I had my gall bladder removed two years ago and now I have a bulge in my abdomen. I have an appointment on Wednesday with my primary care physician. I'm pretty sure it's an incisional hernia and it is getting bigger. My question is surgery my only option?

Thanks,
carolann3123

Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Re: Pros and Cons of Incisional Hernia Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolann3123 View Post
I had my gall bladder removed two years ago and now I have a bulge in my abdomen. I have an appointment on Wednesday with my primary care physician. I'm pretty sure it's an incisional hernia and it is getting bigger. My question is surgery my only option?

Thanks,
carolann3123
I wonder the same thing! I saw my uncle who actually has one sticking out of his abdomen(wich i believ is a different type though) but decides to leave it alone unless it becomes bothersome. I have found i have one also where i had my tubes tied and am wondering if i really need to have this done. I am just not sure if it's the cause for my stomach discomfort and unusual bowels! Keep me updated and let me know how you decide .
Take care, Love Monkey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
(female)

rozbel HB User

i think i have an umbilical hernia very close to the incision made when i had my gall bladder out. i am going to mention it to the surgeon that i am seeing this afternoon about a different matter, in case the 2 things are connected, ill let you know if it is and what his advice to me is.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I had an umbilical hernia repair about 5 yrs ago. They ended up taking my stomach muscles and sewing them together (they were about 2" apart from each other from having babies). It brought my waistline back in and flattened my stomach. Nice side effect to the hernia repair. Now all my parts stay inside instead of popping out like they did before. I was told it could be dangerous to keep mine because the intestines could have popped in and strangulated and would have been a trip to the ER. I opted to take care of it ahead of time.
Of course you don't have an umbilical hernia, so not sure if my answer helps you or not!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

zoegirl, not good that this was dangerous, but they actually diagnosed me as having umblical and then the surgeon said incisional so i guess i will find out in a few weeks! That would be cool if that happened to me as i have quit a tummy lump from babies lol! I just hope my stomach issue are a cause from this and they go away!
Love, Monkey

Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
(female)

rozbel HB User

just to update i was told that i have a small defect in the umbilicus and if it gets any bigger then i would have to have a repair done. i think he meant that if it got bigger then it would be classed as a hernia.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

carolann3123 HB User

I'm scheduled for a hernia repair 4/30. The doctor hopes he can just make a few stitches to close the gap. If not he will use a piece of surgical mesh. He told me that sometimes an infection can result from the mesh. I hope not! If the surgery goes well, I will go home the same day.

If I don't have the hernia repair now, it will only get bigger. I just want to be able to wear jeans again. Will let you know how it goes.
Carolann3123

Closed Thread