It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
(male)

chawkins1000 HB User
Herniated L5/S1 Disc

I have a large herniation of my L5/S1 disc and accompanying aches/numbness in my right leg, from my buttock to my foot. I also can not toe walk on my right foot at all. These conditions have been present for four weeks. Is surgery my only option? What is the risk of permanent nerve damage if I do nothing?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Herniated L5/S1 Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins1000 View Post
I have a large herniation of my L5/S1 disc and accompanying aches/numbness in my right leg, from my buttock to my foot. I also can not toe walk on my right foot at all. These conditions have been present for four weeks. Is surgery my only option? What is the risk of permanent nerve damage if I do nothing?
I am sorry for your pain. I too have had herniated discs from L3-S1. There are conservative therapies that my Drs. tried prior to my surgeries. I tried P/T, Aquatic Therapy, Blocks and steroid injections, and Radio Frequency treatments. Since those did not work, then I had surgery. Most insurance co. will not pay for surgery if you have not already tried these other treatments. However, the longer you go with out relieving pressure on the nerves, they will become permanent. That, unfortunately happened with me and I will not only be taking meds. for this, for the rest of my life, but they dont complely take away the pain. For myself, I still get intermittent shooting, electrical feeling pain down my legs and often if it happens when I am walking...I drop to the ground. I have torn the rotator cuff in both of my shoulders, because I have fallen and as I tried to catch myself and to protect my back. Please do not wait for treatment, as you don't want a life of this...and it seems to get worse throughout the months and years.

Lorie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread