It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Hernia after Bowel Resection?

Hello, I had an open bowel resection in November of last year. I am feeling pretty terrific & have a great appetite. My problem, though, is that the left side of my abdomen, about 2 inches below belly button level, is still protruding out much farther than the right side. It's above the surgery area and is about 2-3 inches wide and about 2 inches thick. I had my regular doctor examine me and she said she thought it was just fluid buildup from the surgery and not a hernia.

I have a hard time believing there could still be fluid buildup more than 6 months after the surgery. All other swelling has gone down and the right side is perfectly flat.

I'm wondering if it's actually a hernia, or if maybe my surgeon put my insides back in lopsided? My gynecologist saw my scar and the protrusion and said "that's not good, they put you back together crooked". If so, can anything be done to even out my insides without going back in? If it's a hernia, is this common after abdominal surgeries? I also had my gall bladder removed laporascopically about 15 years ago.

I'd like to hear from anyone who might have a similar experience, and if anyone has had a hernia after abdominal surgery.

Thanks in advance!

Closed Thread