It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

buggymama HB User
Does your hiatal hernia get sore?

I have a hiatal hernia, I take 40 mg Nexium twice a day for GERD. I have eliminated peppermint and caffeine from my diet, except for the occasional piece of chocolate candy. I don't eat anything 3 hours before going to sleep. Sometimes I sleep on one of those wedge pillows. BUT sometimes I don't. I like to sleep on my stomach. When I sleep on my stomach I usually wake up in the middle of the night with soreness in my chest on the left side. Then it will be sore through the day also. Like right now, it hurts to take a deep breath, when I inhale, its sore, when I exhale it reduces the pressure. I started having muscle spasms in January, ( the dr did a stress test and ekg to rule out heart problems). He then told me take tylenol for 3 weeks straight for muscle soreness. Does anyone else get this soreness? My gastro dr wants to do the surgery to repair the hernia, but i don't know. I'm just checking to see if anyone else gets sore there, or wakes up at night with pressure there.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Does your hiatal hernia get sore?

I don't have any soreness with my hiatal hernia. I do have other issues though and I think my doctor will be discussing surgery at my next appointment in a couple weeks. My hernia is keeping me from being able to really get my acid reflux under control which has resulted in my asthma flaring up.

Have you tried just raising your bed? I have mine on 6 inch bed risers. I hate that my sheets (and sometimes my body) slip down at night, but I could easily sleep on my stomach if I chose to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

buggymama HB User

My husband will not go for raising the bed. That is why I have the pillow. I was just curious if anyone else gets sore like this. Because I suppose it could not be the hernia. Maybe I do something with my left arm that I don't realize I do and I keep pulling a muscle. This is always a great place to come for those initial questions. I appreciate the reply.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Pillows do not work, even if you think that they do. If you have a HH you have got to raise your bed, not really any choice tell hubby. The alternative is BE and you don't want that. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Mama,

how severe is your hernia? I have identical breathing issues, pressure in the chest/lungs? etc.
Like you, I also have a hiatal hernia and GERD and take Nexium. How do you know which symptom is attributable to hernia, and which is attributable to GERD? Do you also have asthma? So many people with these problems do.

I think the breathing issue (pain and pressure upon inhaling) could be from asthma. I get the same pressure as you sometimes. When I do, it is non-stop, painful with each breath, and can last all day. Then it goes away. I have no idea what causes mine. A few possibilities: asthma, beta blockers or other meds, stomach issues, hernia or something else entirely.

My question: Do you feel this problem is more lung-related than stomach (or hernia) -related, since the pain/pressure is dependent on our breathing rhythm and intensifies with each air inhalation ? Not being able to get any definitive answers can be so frustrating! I think even our doctors often find it difficult to put things in a perspective. How bad is your hernia since your doctor feels you should even consider surgery?

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-21-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
(female)

buggymama HB User

Honestly, I do not know how bad my hernia is, nor have I asked which kind it is. And they may have told me and I just didn't pay much attention. I have had 3 endoscopies in the past 2 years ( I previously had grade IV esophagitis or lesions- something like that- they were somewhat concerned- because I was really having no symptoms of anything- at least i didn't pay attention to the symptoms of GERD, etc., i just thought that was normal and not dangerous) and after each one they bring it up that it could be repaired very easily, then I would not have to take the nexium any longer.

I do not have asthma. Although I have had 2 cases of bronchitis this year. And you hit the nail on the head- is this a problem from HH OR is it something else. Do I just need to go back to the reg family dr and have him refer me somewhere else. I just keep putting it off, thinking it may be stress related, you know maybe I tense up and then it gets sore. BUT is it possible for me to only tense up on the one side, shouldn't my whole chest be sore if that was the case?

I'm even considering calling and having my mammogram rescheduled for earlier than September. Its just weird to be this sore. If I find something out I will let you know in case it would be helpful to you also.

Closed Thread