It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

pixie1985 HB User
Talking Has anyone had Paraesophageal hernia repair

Has anyone had laparoscopic surgery for this diagnosis. If so...what was the surgery procedure time and what was your recovery time?
Seeing a surgeon to set up procedure and I would like to be prepared for it afterwards... I am a constant planner...drives my hubby crazy...
Thanks and be blessed!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Has anyone had Paraesophageal hernia repair

I just saw a surgeon today for mine. All he said was that he'd be more than happy to fix it for me if and when I decide I want it done. (He was going to set a date and I chickened out quickly, saying I needed more time to think it over.) Mine is the epigastric one (I think that's the name) smack in the middle of abdomen, two inches above the belly button. I also have a hiatal hernia only two inches above this one. Oh joy!

Sorry, I don't have the answer to your questions. I hope someone on this board will let us know what we are in for. I would be interested especially in the pain management after the surgery and the recovery time. (=How bad the pain is and for how long). How long does the full recovery take? Any other information about your experiences with hernia repair would be very helpful.

Thank you!
flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

pixie1985 HB User
Talking Re: Has anyone had Paraesophageal hernia repair

Thanks Flower....My MD did not give me a choice of waiting. Says the surgery will be much worse when it becomes emergency status. I have had alot of complications with mine.
I noticed a post you had where you had the heart palps at well...This has gone on for years for me. You would not believe how may cardiac tests have been done and no one was able to determine that my stomach was pressing on my heart due to the fact that they make you be NPO for all these tests. I like you have walked the floor many a night because I feared I would certainly die it I lay down. I will let you how the surgery turns out. He assures me it is a "piece of cake".. Pix

Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
(female)

bubs HB User

I had the surgery in March 2005. I, too, wasn't given a choice after being told that I could die from it! At the time I was extremely anemic because the hernia had slid into my chest, stayed there, and the capillaries were leaking blood. The doctor at UPMC in Pittsburgh was a gem. The surgery was 4 1/2 hours done with a laparascope. Recovery time was about three or four weeks. I also had a Nissan wrap. The doctor said it was the largest paraesophageal hernia he had ever repaired. Please have the surgery done quickly because it can be life-threatening if not fixed. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Pixie,

thank you for your response. I would be very interested to know how the surgery goes for you and what to expect. I wonder if it can be done laparoscopically. I certainly hope so. Otherwise, the cut will be too big and take longer to heal. I read it takes about six weeks to heal, so we can count on being off work for a while following the surgery.
Please stay in touch.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-02-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bubs,

I have two of them. One is a hiatal sliding hernia which, while it's been possibly causing some symptoms, I've lived with for some time now. I also have GERD so it's difficult to attribute any particular symptoms to either condition. The other hernia is epigastric or similar one, the bulging type, above the belly button but bellow the first hernia. If the surgeons have to go in through an open surgery (not sure yet), I'd want them to repair both. If the laparoscopic surgery is chosen, it may not be possible to work on both hernias. The main thing is to repair the new hernia, because it bothers me sometimes after meals and when I try to do something and bend at the waist. I get nauseous rightaway and dizzy as well. As soon as I straighten up, I feel OK again. I tried this several times to confirm my suspicions about the hernia causing my discomfort. If it is not the hernia, it is something else in my stomach. The symptoms of nausea and dizziness happen every time.
I'd be vey interested in hearing about the anemia/hernia connection. My ferritin is pretty low, meaning I have little or no iron stores left in the body. I wonder how to find out more about this? How did you learn that the two conditions were related? Right now, I am not even on any iron supplements, as the cause of my low iron is still being sought.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-02-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Bubs and Flower,
Thanks for the encouragement. I am scheduled to see my surgeon tomorrow to discuss my surgery. I am confident in the MD that is doing the surgery so that makes me feel better.
You guys talked about the anemia in your other posts...I never put that together with my lab work. My hgb and hct has been low for about 2 years now but we thought it could be from the Lupus that I also have..Not sure if I mentioned that or not. (as well as Fibro and Restless legs) (just a train wreck!!)
I was able to view my records and it seems as 2/3 of the stomach is herniated in the chest wall. I am so hoping the surgery will take care of the uncomfortable feeling/pain I have all the time.
I will post my date of surgery and if yoy guys will pray for me I would so appreciate it!! Pix

Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Will do. Best of luck to you, Pixie!. Thank you for your information. How interesting that your hgb and htc levels have been low. I would not be surprised if your hernia were to blame for that. I hope that once your hernia is repaired, you will be able to bring those levels back up. If that does not happen, you will at least know to look elsewhere for the cause. The condition you mentioned would be another good candidate for causing low hgb and hct levels.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-03-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
(female)

bubs HB User

I will certainly include you in my prayers. The anemia is common with this type of hernia and corrected very quickly after surgery. "Uncomfortable" was exactly how I felt before surgery, as I had no indigestion. I was admitted to the hospital with severe anemia and had to receive two units of blood. It was after having an endoscope that it was discovered. After that, things moved very quickly because the doctors gave me choice. Three quarters of my stomach had slid into my chest, flopped over, and stayed there! My doctor explained that the anemia came from the capillaries leaking on the outside, and there was the chance of it rupturing or "strangling". Not something I wanted to experience, so I had the surgery within one week and returned to work three weeks later. Regular hiatal hernias normally do not require surgery, but this type always does. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
(female)

bubs HB User

Pixie - Just wondering how you're doing, and if you've had to schedule surgery. Hope you are well!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

Hi Bubs.
Thanks so much for thinking of me. I am scheduled on 9/23 to have the surgery. He assures me I will do fine and will only have to stay overnight. He thinks I should be back at work in a week. I will admit I am beginning to get a little nervous about the whole thing. Please do keep me in your prayers on this day. I will post as soon as I can and let you know how I am doing. I have my daughter who is an RN as well as a sister who is an RN who are planning on "nursing me"...lol.. I will be probably wish I was in a nut house somewhere when the 2 of them get through with me. take care...Pix

Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
(female)

tmarie1990 HB User

Hi everyone,
I am new to the board and just read all of this. It looks like Pixie just had surgery yesterday. I wonder how she is doing. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia a few years ago. He said if it got any bigger, I would have to have surgery. Well, it does feel worse and Prevacid isn't working anymore. I have heard from people who had the surgery how dangerous it is if you don't get it fixed. I had no idea!!! Now I am freaked out about it, as it feels like it's in my chest, don't know if it's paranoia, but I don't think so as I felt like this before I found all this out. Anyways, I have an appt. this Friday with my PCP, as you all probably know, with an HMO, I need a referral, and PCP will not write it up w/o seeing me! Then good luck with getting in to see the surgeon! Does anyone know if the surgeon would have to re-do the endoscopy to see it for himself, or could he just do the surgery and go off of the results that the GI did a couple years ago? I'm sure he won't just do the surgery. What I am wondering though is, could he just knock me out in one shot? Ya know, do the endoscopy to see the hernia himself and then do the surgery the same day? My luck, probably not! I am scared and nervous and feel like I can't get it repaired now quickly enough! Okay, breathe now...
Do I need to go to the ER to get it done yesterday?! Any info and support is much appreciated, thanks!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
(female)

pixie1985 HB User

hello all.. had my surgery on Tuesday. Went better than I anticipated. came home the next day. Still not able to eat much. He tells me that will get better. (has to...eating is very important to me..lol) still have alot of soreness but most of the pain came from the gas they use during the surgical procedure. have 5 small incisions with steri strips. Moving around and walking seems to help with the soreness. Haven't had to have pain med since I have been at home. Right now I would still recommend the surgery to anyone that is in need of having it done. I am glad I decided to get it done now since I had a tear in the diaphragm muscle. Could have been much worse later. Take care.. Pix

Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pixie,

thanks for the update. It's good to know the surgery was a breeze for you. I hope mine will turn out to be like that as well. I don't know which method will be chosen for the surgery and hope for a laparoscopy. I have two types of hernia, one above the other, but only one of them really bothers me. I will know more after a consult with the surgeon next month.
Your not needing the pain medications is very encouraging! Keep up the good work and take good care of yourself. Thanks for sharing.

flowergirl

Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
(female)

bubs HB User

Pixie,

Glad to hear your surgery is all over and you're on your way to feeling much better!

Closed Thread