It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Spondy + 2 Herniated Discs

Hey everyone-

So my spondy is Grade 1 and at L5. I also have a pars fracture at that level. I have a herniated disc between L4 and L5, and a herniated disc between L5 and S1.
My pain level is increasing by the day, and I am getting to the point that I cannot work. I also need help at night with my 13 month old (my husband works afternoons and evenings). Tonight my sister came over.
I am interested in hearing from people that have had similar diagnosis, and what treatment you persued. Was it successful? The conservative treatments I have tried so far are Prednisone and chiropractic. No improvement. My chiro doesn't even want to touch me anymore. I am meeting with an orthopedic tomorrow to discuss options, but I would like some input from people who have gone through this. I really can't go on like this too much longer.

Last edited by megss; 10-21-2008 at 05:56 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Spondy + 2 Herniated Discs

Hi Megss,
as you know I also have spondy and have been following your trials. Sorry to hear about the pars and 2 herniations. I also have both. My spondy is grade 1-2 at L4-L5 and the pars at L4, so one level above yours. My ortho said mine is less common at that level. My pain has been going on since 2005 so I feel your pain. However, it didn't stay at the high level yours seems to be at. It flares and then subsides thankfully or I'd never want to be here right now!

I'm glad you're not seeing a chiro, they can't help you and can make your back even more unstable. I believe that and going to Yoga are what did mine in to this degree. I've also had a lot of wear and tear over the years.

What has NOT helped me is PT, chiro (NO), or those back brace wrap things.
What has helped me slightly is walking, (no running, swimming, or biking), stretching (easy), and Ice, and sometimes Aleve. I can't do heavy pain killers cuz I have to work and am supporting a husband on disability, so one of us has to work and keep going!

Having a small child is going to be hard on you and you must be careful about lifting him. Your doctor will probably want to try conservative measures first and hold out surgery. Surgery is a huge step, and something to really think long and hard about.
I hope that you are able to come to the right decision for yourself and have people around you who will support you in whatever you decide. *******removed******
I really do wish you a pain free future. Keep in mind that disk herniations can heal themselves! This may take a long time, but it can happen. The pars, and spondy -no, but they don't always cause pain, just my 2 cents. take care,
~Backslide

Last edited by Mod08; 10-22-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Please re-read the posting rules - peer support only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: Spondy + 2 Herniated Discs

Hi!

Thank you for your response. We are going to try a steroid injection first, and see if that helps, but if it does not, he wants me to have surgery. I also canceled my PT appointment this afternoon, and I am going to let the orthopedic doctor take care of me. I was reffered to PT by a pain management doctor. Hopefully the injection will work!! I am glad you are able to manage your pain.

Closed Thread