It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

enjuniper HB User
Unhappy Mitral Valve Prolapse and Herniated Disc

Hi, I have mitral valve prolapse. I was diagnosed with it about 5 years ago. It hasn't given me any problems except for recently. I was also diagnosed with a herniated disc last month (which probably happened when I gave birth in June).

Since being diagnosed with the herniated disc I've been put on Hydrocodone 7.5/750 3 times a day, mobic once a day, flexeril, and zoloft for depression.

It does seem like my heart has been acting funny and giving me chest pain since I've been on the meds. I told my doc and he changed muscle relaxers thinking it was that and put me on verapamil. I took myself off of all of them for a day (except the verapamil and hydrocodone because of the horrible pain) and i had more pain in my chest that day and almost fainted. According to the doc these are normal symptoms for someone with mvp.

I'm worried. The doc says the hydrocodone has nothing to do with it. What should I do? And is anyone else on verapamil for palpitations and chest pain?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: Mitral Valve Prolapse and Herniated Disc

I'm a bit sensitive to a couple of those meds you've listed. Flexeril being a problematic one for me.
Some of those lower blood pressure, when this happens you'll feel more dizzy. Zoloft also acts on the central nervous system which can lead to symptoms, too. Please do not take yourself off of Zoloft again without your doctor's consent. The reason you felt so bad is that your body gets very used to this drug, and suddenly stopping it can cause withdrawals. You must wean off of it slowly.

I'm going to throw a guess out here, but the combination of pain, recently childbirth, and all the meds are really taxing your body. Your blood volume could have dropped and that's why you're suddenly feeling symptoms from the MVP. When your blood volume is low the valves that normally (for you) do not fit correctly become more "floppy". I strongly suggest you look up MVP syndrome, you will probably find information somewhere about what medications can be a problem for you with MVP and what you can do/take to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread