It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

TradeDayDan HB User
Life threatening hernia, Intra Peritoneal Infarcted Omentum

I'm not sure where to put this and the actual name for this is way too long to put in the title. My mother has had problems for several months with food getting stuck and a couple of times it either got stuck in her throat or came back up. Both times she almost choked to death. They ran tests and said they didn't see anything, not even the umbilical hernia she's had since birth. You wonder if some people should be reading the results of these tests.

Anyway, she had the same problem a week ago eating food and it made her sick. She didn't eat for a couple of days in an attempt to feel better and hope whatever was going on would stop. Wednesday evening she was feeling better and ate something. She had the worst attack ever that included dizziness, nausea, and accelerated heart rate. We rushed her to the emergency room thinking she was having a heart attack. It wasn't her heart. The 2.nd day she was in the hospital they did a CT Scan and the hernia showed up on the scan this time. It probably showed up the last time and this time they had someone that knew how to read the results.

They told her she has a pretty bad hernia in her stomach. There was dead tissue behind the hernia and some of that had moved up into the hernia. They told her that the area wasn't getting any blood which means gain green ( not sure if that's the correct spelling, but I hope you know what I mean) will start eventually in that area.

The technical medical terms used were Contiguous Intra Peritoneal Infarcted Omentum. They also had listed Atrophic Pancreas. She's a nurse but she doesn't really understand what all of that means. If anyone hs heard of this I would appreciate any information and I'll be trying to look as much as I can here and other places to get her the info she wants. She's really scared andit sounds like she should be. She's not eating anything else until she has surgery. She's decided tolive on Ensure for the next couple of weeks until the surgeon she's wanting is back from vacation. This is assuming nothing else goes wrong and she has to go in for immediate emergency surgery.

Any info would be appreciated and any thoughts and prayers are very welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Life threatening hernia, Intra Peritoneal Infarcted Omentum

Hi, TradeDayDan . . . first of all my best thoughts to you and your mother.

I have a pocket medical dictionary and looked up what I could about what it is that your mother has.

I will try to help you translate it.

Contiguous (connected to) intra (within) peritoneal (abdominal wall lining) infarcted (blood flow to area has been stopped) omentum (part of the abdominal wall lining where it folds to the stomach, colon or other abdominal organs). Due to the cut off of blood flow, this is what is causing the gangrene which is simply that tissue cells are dying off.

During this surgery, they will likely determine if it is dry or wet gangrene. Dry gangrene can be taken care of by returning the blood flow to normal but if wet gangrene, the area affected will need to be removed.

Again, my thoughts are with you both.

Hope this has helped.

Lindaru

Closed Thread