It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User
Did traction help your herniated cervical disc?

My p.t. switched to that yesterday (my 11th visit), instead of the heated rolling bed and electrical stimulus patches. He is also doing ultrasound and massage.

Did traction help you? If so, after how many sessions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
(female)

Shemachinist HB User
Re: Did traction help your herniated cervical disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsy13 View Post
My p.t. switched to that yesterday (my 11th visit), instead of the heated rolling bed and electrical stimulus patches. He is also doing ultrasound and massage.

Did traction help you? If so, after how many sessions.
I noticed some help on my second session with traction. However the temporary relief only lasted about 3 hours for me. I ended up having surgery. (Sept 23, 08) Everyone is different though. Hopefully it'll work better and last longer for you. Btw..it always felt great while it was being applied.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

NAPPSIE HB User

((((Rootsy13)))) I've had both PT and the traction. I always felt somewhat worse afterward. I've got herniated disk at c5-6. I've had it for too long and need the courage for surgery. I hope you find the relief you are seeking. Don't let them do those things too many times if you are not feeling better from them. ...One thing I've had true relief from (lasts maybe even a couple of weeks sometimes) is massage therapy. Good luck!!!

Last edited by NAPPSIE; 12-30-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add a little info

Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
(female)

hugg724 HB User

I didn't make it through one traction session. I was literally crying before the time was up because it hurt so bad. I had 3 ruptured discs (c4/5, c5/6 and c6/7). For ME, it created more pain than it helped.

Everyone is different. I had to try everything I could before I agreed to let them do surgery. Hopefully, it will help you if you try it!!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

Pam454 HB User

My physcial therapist did traction on me twice. It felt great while I was laying there but I hurt horrible for hours afterwards and gave up completely on physical therapy and then tried the injections.

________________________________________ ________________________
11/11/08 Anterior cervical discectomy (c5-6, C6-7) corpectomy (c6) with fusion and harms cage implant

Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psheltner70 View Post
My physcial therapist did traction on me twice. It felt great while I was laying there but I hurt horrible for hours afterwards and gave up completely on physical therapy and then tried the injections.

________________________________________ ________________________
11/11/08 Anterior cervical discectomy (c5-6, C6-7) corpectomy (c6) with fusion and harms cage implant
Hmm..How did the injections work for you? As of now, I have had 14 P.T. sessions. The pain in my shoulder blade was so bad the other day, my doc told me to double up on my pain meds. My follow-up is 1/13, which is where we will discuss an EMG. After that it would be the injections. Did you only have 2 P.T. appointment before you went ahead with injections? What discs are you having issues with?

Oh..and thanks everybody for the well wishes

Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

Pam454 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootsy13 View Post
Hmm..How did the injections work for you? As of now, I have had 14 P.T. sessions. The pain in my shoulder blade was so bad the other day, my doc told me to double up on my pain meds. My follow-up is 1/13, which is where we will discuss an EMG. After that it would be the injections. Did you only have 2 P.T. appointment before you went ahead with injections? What discs are you having issues with?

Oh..and thanks everybody for the well wishes
I had a total of five pt appointments. After telling the therapist of the pain, we agreed to stop the traction. The surgeon actually didn't know of the traction and when I told him he wasn't suprised it didn't work. All of the pt took place while waiting to get in to see him. The surgeon said there would be only one injection and if there wasn't some reliefe we wouldn't continue and go straight to surgery. The injection was dreadful. Not only did I have an allergic reaction and thought I would scratch my skin off afterwards, it gave me no relilefe only more pain, swelling and killer headaches. I was pretty much fed up after that and welcomed the surgery. I had two herniated discs at c5-6 and c6-7 with pain, numbness and weakness in the left shoulder to hand.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
(male)

Jay Bee HB User

Traction made things feel a little better for a few hours. I started having thoughts of, 'wow, maybe this will work...'.. but after 4 times, it was evident to me it wasn't going to be the answer.. the tingling and numbness was still prevelant...

I had ACDF on c5-6 on 9/20/08. Doing well and glad I didn't spend more time dreaming that traction might have been the answer.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
I had ACDF C5-6 in 2007. I stupidly went to PT (while I had severe spinal cord compression) and they did traction. I definitely think it made me feel worse! I think it was dangerous to even have had it done.
Lisa

Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
(female)

Janster HB User

My husband has a slight compression in c5,c6 and went for his first traction session last Monday. And aside from the fact he's fighting with pretty serious cold/flu - he's never had sooo much neck pain ever!! After only 1 session - he had really bad migraine for 3 days straight. His neck is stiff & sooo very sore that he can't even move his head without it hurting.

It's almost scary how bad he's feeling - I'm almost wondering if he's having some sort of serious complications. I've searched online and can't find any 'complications' from traction. We called the doc yesterday and he was given some muscle relaxers - but he's not even sure that's helping any.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I only tried traction a couple times but it did make it worse, as mentioned here I ended up with some whopper headaches. I have seen others here have luck with it though. When I had traction noone really knew what was going on in there & that I think is dangerous. The last PT that I went to told me there should always be some kind of improvement to continue. She stopped the therapy herself saying there was something wrong & she was fearful to continue. The surgeon who did my shoulder said the same, that it should not take PT forever to work & he did not believe in prolonging PT if your not showing progress.
Good luck, Sammy

Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
I only tried traction a couple times but it did make it worse, as mentioned here I ended up with some whopper headaches. I have seen others here have luck with it though. When I had traction noone really knew what was going on in there & that I think is dangerous. The last PT that I went to told me there should always be some kind of improvement to continue. She stopped the therapy herself saying there was something wrong & she was fearful to continue. The surgeon who did my shoulder said the same, that it should not take PT forever to work & he did not believe in prolonging PT if your not showing progress.
Good luck, Sammy
Hi Sammy,

Well after about 15/16 P.T. appointments (4 of those being traction), my doc finally said we should stop. I see him next week for results of my EMG and we will most likely move on to the epidural. Out of curiosity, what was your diagnosis?

Closed Thread