It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

carmencelis01 HB User
c3-4 broad-based posterior disc herniation contributing to bilateral foraminal narrow

also disc bulge at c4-5,contributing to right foraminal narrowing. also other 2 disk bulges at c5-6,c6-7... what's the meaning of this report,please explain for i'm dying on pain 24/7 .all due to an auto accident,hit from behind at high speed thanks, carmen

Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: c3-4 broad-based posterior disc herniation contributing to bilateral foraminal na

Sorry about your accident. Many here have had them and know your suffering.

It helps to start with understanding the basic anatomy of a vertebra in the neck. The vertebra is the bone and it surrounds your spinal cord. There are disks of thick spongy material between the vertebra...your disks. On the sides of the vertebra are areas where the individual nerves exit the vertebra to go down your arms or where ever they are meant to go. The place they exit is called the foramen.

So you have several disks that have ruptured. The best way I can describe a disk is that the outside is like a stiff garden hose...flexible but sturdy. Inside the disk is a softer spongier substance. You can have a rupture where the garden hose is pushed out of shape or a rupture where the hose is broken open and the spongy stuff pushes out, although it is still encased in a membrane that keeps it from going all over the place.

Either way, you have at least 1 disk that has ruptured in such a way that it is impinging(pinching) the nerve that exits at C4 or C5. The C4 nerve affects the shoulder area and C5 affects the upper arm. Is that where you hurt?

There are lots of non-surgical treatments for this but if all else fails, there are surgical options.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. Been there. I hope you get some relief soon. And if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. No such thing as a stupid question!

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread