It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
hiatus hernia

ive just had an endoscopy which shew i had a small hernia.
ive been ill for months now with various stomache pains,constipation,nausea and weight loss,chest pain and also for a month horrible pain in my neck,armpits and groin. this has all been since december last year but typicaly a 2 wks before my endoscopies it started to ease alot. but ive never been ill like that before it was awful.i still have pains in my stomach,can eat but only small bits as my stomach gets full quickly and hurts.
the nurse said the hernia wont cause any of my problems but im not convinced,. i dont really understand about hernias but is it possible that when i was so ill that it could have been larger and infected?? and its cleared up on its own?? i hate not knowing what the cause of being so ill was!!
i also had colonoscopy whic was fine x
also will the doc want to check on the hernia again or am i just left with it?
im 32 yr female, and not overweight x

Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: hiatus hernia

The nurse was right in that a hiatus hernia typically doesn't result in noticable symptoms. You will find on many HealthBoard threads that there are many people who feel the same that you do.

The most common type of hiatus hernia is a sliding one. In this instance, a small portion of the stomach slides up through your hiatus, or small hole in your diaphragm where your esophagus goes through to connect to your stomach. It then slides back down into a normal position. This is the type that typically doesn't result in symptoms.

There can also be paraesophageal hernia which could cause symptoms and is more serious. It is much more rare in occurance. I would imagine your EGD would have given you this information if that was the case.

It sounds like you might have other things going on in addition to the hernia. Do you have a follow-up appointment with your GI doc? I've had follow-ups a week out each time that I had EGD's and for my Colonoscopy. At that time, my GI doc discussed the results more thoroughly and also discussed my next course of actions. Did they do any biposies during your testing? I got results from mine at that time too. They tested for other things in order to rule out what may or may not be causing my symptoms. In addition to the testing done during the EGD, they also took several blood and stool samples during the time they were trying to figure things out. They tested for ulcers, h. pylori, celiacs, c. diff., etc...

Typically with a small hernia, they won't do much about it. They may want to monitor it over time. In my case, I had a Barium Swallow. It is an x-ray that they watch while you swallow various substances with Barium. They are able to watch your chewing and swallowing processes to see if there are any problems. That is where they found my hernia. They were also able to confirm that I had food and acid refluxing up that was irritating my lungs.

If you have reflux, they may also do a pH test. There are two types. One they stick a tube down your nose and esophagus for 24hrs to monitor your refluxing incidents. It isn't as bad as it sounds. I've had it done twice. In the other, they use a small capsule to monitor your reflux. I think it usually monitors for 48 hours.

By the way, in addition to the reflux, I had everything else ruled out over the course of months and was eventually officially diagnosed with IBS for my digestive issues.

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-02-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
Re: hiatus hernia

hi,thanks for your reply, yes i had biopsys done but im not sure if im being refered back to the gasterontoligist or not,i hope so as i dont want to be left to suffer!!!
will give it 2 weeks then call the hospital for results and to see whats happening.
i dont get much heartburn trouble,only slight. last 2 days the armpit and groin pain is coming back,its so annoying!!! most of my tummy pain is right sort of where the hernia would be and under right rib to the side of my bellybutton,if its not the hernia im stumped!!!! x

Closed Thread