It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
(male)

Tung-Sol HB User
Reherniation six years postop ... microdiscectomy scheduled

Well, I'm back ... looks like lots of different folks here! Best wishes to you all as I'm somewhat aware of why you're here!

You'll see from my history below that I had open surgery six years ago. Somehow, after all this time, I've re-herniated at the same level, same side, same symptoms only without the foot drop so far (knock on wood). This past Wed. I woke up in severe pain, excruciating in fact, and could not stand or walk at all. I took two percocet and was barely able to move using crutches. I was able to get to see a new neuro (we've moved) yesterday. MRI and xrays proved the same level has herniated with large free fragment plus a fair amount of arthritis involving facet joint at L5-S1. Small herniation at that level does not seem to have grown thankfully.

Wow, a day-in-the-life of the wheel chair bound really was an enlightening experience. My heart goes out to those folks.

So, we left with presc. for MS-contin, Medrol dose pack and percocet for break-through pain and microdiscectomy scheduled for week following next, maybe sooner if my foot happens to drop.

They also scheduled an epidural for first of this week for pain relief so I can keep moving as pretty much recliner-bound right now. Is that a waste of time considering I'll have surgery a week later???

Has anyone followed open surgery with a microdiscectomy? I'm wondering how recover will be. I spent six weeks in the recliner last time (I was told to get one before surgery, thankfully we did) with very slow progress walking and in PT. I guess I won't complain if this is about the same as pain relief as immediate, but I can't help but think recovery will go much better.

Any thoughts pre-surgery most appreciated.

Thom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Re: Reherniation six years postop ... microdiscectomy scheduled

I've just re herniated mine. I had surgery 10-08 and now 6 months later it has to be done again.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

Narbmom HB User
Re: Reherniation six years postop ... microdiscectomy scheduled

I have reherniated mine as well after 9 years post discetomy. In round 2 of cortisone shots, doing nothing for the pain. Not sure whether surgery or neuro stimulator are in my future. Good luck.

Closed Thread