It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

SctcSufferer HB User
Is it possible to have leg pain due to a lumber disc herniation w/o back pain?

Hi all,

I have leg pain that, according to my doctor, is caused by a 7 mm disc hernation in my L4-L5 area. However, I don't any accompanying back pain. Is this even possible? That is, it is possible to have a herniated disc in the lower back yet have no actual back pain? Instead, all my pain is felt in sciatic nerve running down the legs when standing.

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User
Re: Is it possible to have leg pain due to a lumber disc herniation w/o back pain?

Did you just recently start having leg pain or has it been going on for a while?

I know when I first injured my back for the first few weeks my leg pain was the most predominant symptom, but since then my back pain bothers me quite a bit also. I think the amount of back pain people have with herniated discs will vary, but most people will eventually feel the back pain also.

If the pain down your leg matches the dermatome (charts are available online by doing a search) for the herniation you have, I would say it is likely the herniation is causing your sciatica.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User
Re: Is it possible to have leg pain due to a lumber disc herniation w/o back pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SctcSufferer View Post
Hi all,

I have leg pain that, according to my doctor, is caused by a 7 mm disc hernation in my L4-L5 area. However, I don't any accompanying back pain. Is this even possible? That is, it is possible to have a herniated disc in the lower back yet have no actual back pain? Instead, all my pain is felt in sciatic nerve running down the legs when standing.

Thanks in advance for the help

Hi SctcSufferer ~ ~ ~

Yes, your Doc is right on.
I even get it down to the bottom of my feet.
Shooting down both legs at the same time or separate. This will occur ~ standing, walking, sitting, bending, lying down or propped up.
There are times the lower L4 & 5 area becomes painful with nothing else occuring neurologically.
There are times when just having material from pants ect. touching areas of the skin on the leg will become sensitive and irritated.

Regards ~ DB

Last edited by Drain Bamaged; 05-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User

My situation is same as your, I have leg pain about one year but almost I
have no back pain . If you have MRI which can show you have disc herniation, most Orthopedic or Neuro Surgery will believe your leg pain is caused by disk. If you still donít believe, you may need to do a exam called Diacogram , it can determinate what is real reason to cause the pain, but some doctors donít like to do Diacogram before surgery. You have to decide by youself.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Yes - when I first experienced pain it was pain down the leg. I thought it might even be hip related. After an MRI I found out (eons ago) that it was spondylolisthesis and that the movement of my vertebrae (spondylolisthesis) was impinging on the nerve that goes down the leg (sciatic nerve). I never had back pain initially (though did later on).

Closed Thread