It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(male)

txdave35 HB User
What Does a Cervical Herniation Feel Like?

I guess this is my worst fear right now. Been dealing with nonstop neck pain for over a week now. I've tried exercises, ice packs, heat, advil, nothing makes it go away completely.

Signs it could be herniated disc:

problem started after a blow to the back of head
started getting elbow pain and numbness in ring and pinky

Signs that it is not herniated disc:

Neck muscles feel very tight and strained, I can also trigger more pain if I rub in certain spots

Neck pain has gone away since my head injury, up to 2 weeks, then just came back

I am very sensitive to stress and very stressed out right now about this problem

No numbness or weakness in my upper arms, just the elbow pain and finger numbness

Exam by doctor and orthopedist - they didnt see anything wrong with my neck

What do you guys think? If a herniated disc was pinching my ulnar nerve, wouldn't it cause pain and sensations down the whole length, not just elbow to fingers

I just gotta stop worrying somehow. I am terrified that this neck pain will never go away. Please Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: What Does a Cervical Herniation Feel Like?

I don't think you would necessarily feel pain all the way down your arm for an ulnar nerve issue. I've heard that some people only have numbness at the tips of their fingers. You could have a pinched nerve AND muscle strain. Did your doctor order an MRI?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: What Does a Cervical Herniation Feel Like?

hello txdave35.

Sounds like you might have had a whiplash?. Does the back of your head hurts sometimes? just so you know, I was told the back of the head muscles ARE CONNECTED to the neck muscles. In other words, the blow to the back of your head CAUSED some sort of damage to your neck's tendons, ligaments and muscles. I'm pretty sure you have STIFF muscles in your neck and the back of your head. that's one thing. Stiff muscles can cause SEVERE pain.

I've had a sever whiplash(car accident) and I've been "dealing" with chronic neck pain for almost 4 years now. It's non stop and it never goes away, not for a second even.

Only an MRI will show the situation of your disks - bulging/herniated. So you MUST go and do an MRI, at least you will know. (there is also a discogram, that's more detailed).

My MRI showed 2 MINOR bulging disks in my neck. I was told my pain is from stiff muscles but that doesn't "help" me feel any better.

I'm really sory to hear about another one with neck pain. It really breaks my heart. I hope your situation will improve and won't be chronic like mine.

Let me know what the MRI showed.

Last edited by nochange; 08-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Closed Thread