It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

nosolution555 HB User
Question Hiatal Hernia diagnosis and cravings

Hi,
This is a complex question because somehow I feel that my weight gain is related to this diagnosis or it may simply be as a result of eating 1/2 gallon ice cream every 2 days. I want to lose 25 lbs. but this is not a weight loss question exactly.

I was told that I could only eat certain foods like baked chicken & fish as an entree and a lot of foods that I normally ate was restricted, not that I ate a lot of junk food. My nutrition wasn't the best, but I had little fried food.

My symptoms were mostly throwing up a lot, that one would think over months that I would have lost weight, but I didn't. My stomach swelled up and I swear I looked 4 months pregnant but that's not possible. I don't weigh myself. I've always gone by how I feel and fit into my size 10 clothes - my size went up to 12, almost 14, and I've never been in worse shape.

I'm getting to my question...I promise. Often even if I ate the right foods with this hiatal hernia, I still would feel as if I needed to throw up to feel better, especially if I lied down too soon after eating. I did not have a lot of heartburn or stomach aches, just burping and a horrible taste in my mouth and i'd have to spit out acidic tasting mucus when I didn't expect it. This is when I got kind of addicted to eating ice cream (at the world's greatest ice cream place). Mainly it was soothe my throat and get that funny taste out of my mouth plus I didn't get sick from it. Plus it was good and a comfort food. After 6 months of getting into this habit, all my clothes are snug and when I glance in the mirror i'm shocked at how much weight I've gained. I'm guessing 25 lbs and I find it so depressing.

Lately, I've cut down enormously, and have started exercising again and eating salads and baked chicken & brocolli. I'd say for about 2 weeks. I look at my stomach, and I have this strange hunch that what looks like fat could be something else because the area is so hard. I can't hold my stomach in. And I just look way too chubby at 5'2". I began to wonder if this hiatal hernia had anything to do with the kind of weight I've put on. Usually fat is softer...and I am getting older at 55...so I feel like I've got a huge mountain to climb to lose weight. I almost feel I can't. I will give myself more time, BUT, with throwing up so much, even with eating so much ice cream, I probably don't eat more than 700 empty calories a day.

What I want to know is if anyone knows if there is a relationship between excessive weight gain and hiatal hernia where the stomach is not in the right place or so I've been told - or is it just so much ice cream which has really helped me deal psychologically with this illness. I can discipline myself but not if it's futile.

Sorry, so long.
Thanks,
terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Hiatal Hernia diagnosis and cravings

When was the last time you visited your doctor and had a complete examination? I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks so but this seems a little complex to solve from afar. I think you need a "hands-on" exam by a professional, because your "hunch" may be correct. If there's a spot that looks like fat but is hard, it could be a tumor. It might just be a benign tumor that needs to be removed; the sooner the better.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I'd also suggest visiting your doctor again soon! I actually have recently been diagnosed with two hernias, although closer to the groin area. Mine are very small and not dangerous, but my doctor still recommended that I got them repaired ASAP to prevent a potential emergency in the future, which is very possible. I'm getting surgery next week to correct them both. Try looking up photos of hiatal hernias on the Internet and see if they look like yours. I found a very wide variety of what hernias can look like. Some can get very large and feel hard if they get severe. Are you able to push the hernia in (is it reducible?)? Mine do move, which is a sign that it isn't severe, but if it's stuck, then it can definitely cause you some trouble and it's worth looking into it with your doctor again.

I wouldn't think a hernia itself would cause actual weight gain since it's simply the organs spilling out of the muscle in a pouch, but perhaps all of the swelling in the area can hold excess fluids. It can CERTAINLY create a big bulge though, plus pain and discomfort.

I understand what you mean about certain foods being soothing. I wonder if there is anything else you can try as a replacement to the ice cream. Ice cream does have a lot of calories. If anything, try going down to some fat free frozen yogurt and just try to cut back the portions. You can eat a couple of spoonfuls at a time throughout the day rather than having a bowl or so all at once. I used to actually mix skim milk with frozen yogurt to make a shake and it would taste very good. Just blend it up or stir it together and you'll get what seems to be more, but since it's less dense, not as much calories as ice cream alone.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

no solution, how are you feeling now? I have a small hiatal hernia. When i was first diagnosed, i thought i was sent to pergatory.. my diet wasn't horrible but i loved spicy foods and chocolate. Once things were under control i could have the foods i loved in moderation. I've also found out that i'm wheat/gluten intolerant. If i avoid them, virtually no stomach issues. Another symptom that disappeared being wheat/gluten free is the pouchy gut feeling.

hope you are feeling better!

Closed Thread