It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Does hiatal hernia cause full feeling high abdomen?

I have been having stomach problems for 2 weeks, that were so vague, I ended up seeing the doctor for heart palpitations first. These turned into shooting pains and I ended up in the ER thinking it was my heart. I have had 2 EKG's, 2 monitors, one for 2 days, the one in the ER for about 2 hours. While I was in there I had one of the shooting chest pains, and the monitor showed nothing wrong with my heart. I was diagnosed with reflux, prescribed prilosec, told to not eat certain foods, and to follow up with my regular doc. The med. worked very well, not many symptoms after eating once on the med., but couldnt change my diet too much at the time as I was out of state visiting relatives. Some things that should have bothered my stomach did not, cheeseburger, fries etc. Yet when I had a baked potato, I had to run to the bathroom within 20 min. to a half hour after eating it and had diarrhea. This is the 2nd time this has happened after eating a potato. I do go back to my doctor tomorrow as I just got home but wanted to know if anybody knows what would cause a slight full feeling very top of my abdomen that stays there for a long time after eating a small amount, this slight pressure can sometimes go straight through to my back. I read that this, and the chest pains I was having, can go along with a hiatal hernia. Also, can a person tell themselves if they have one? I had my gallbladder out years ago so this is not the problem. Thankyou for any help in advance of my trips to the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
Re: Does hiatal hernia cause full feeling high abdomen?

hi i had the same feeling full after eating a small amount and it turned out i have hiatus hernia.
i also getting terrible chest/back pains which im not 100% sure if this is related or not but i have acid reflux problems due to hernia which can cause some of these symptoms. my chest pains have become quite bad so back to the doctor for me tomoro!! xx

Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Hi, thanks for replying. I also had the chest and back pains. They would streak from one side to the other, or be under one arm. I did some research and found out the pains can be common and are naturally assumed to be the heart, but are actually the diaphram I think its called going into spasm. I looked up a picture of it ( shaped like a parachute and was surprised how high up it goes, so then it made sense as to where my chest pains were. But of course a person always has to have their heart checked first to rule that out. I have not been diagnosed with a hernia, but I seem to have trouble after I eat, and this can go on for hours. I am also having alot of trouble with diarrhea after eating certain things. I am not even sure what to eat any more. They said I had acid reflux, but I don't seem to have the symptoms of heart burn and acid reflux that comes with it. I had more pain and pressure high abdomen, and pains that I thought were my heart, now the diarrhea. I couldnt get in today but am calling to try to get in tomorrow. Good luck to you

Last edited by Kasey443; 11-24-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi, mine first started with tummy pains and the doctor kept giving me meds for acid reflux and i was like "i dont have reflux ,i rarley had heartburn! but 8 months down the line i do get heartburn more but not loads.i had lots of pressure and fullness at the begining but that did go. interesting bout the spleen,will look that up!!! my pains are go right deep into my breasts too but ive sen the nurse for breastexam and all was fine. im seein my doc tomoro and i know i need to put my foot down and demand to get my heart checked...for my own sanity if anything!!!! let me know how you get on too ,good luck x

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

just a quick update! saw my gp today,he said my heart rate was alittle high,had some bloodwork done and have to have a 24hr ecg done then go back and see him. strange it was high as i done a home test yesterday when i was feelin ill and it was only 32.
did you manage to see your doctor? x

Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
(female)

tmgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey443 View Post
I have been having stomach problems for 2 weeks, that were so vague, I ended up seeing the doctor for heart palpitations first. These turned into shooting pains and I ended up in the ER thinking it was my heart. I have had 2 EKG's, 2 monitors, one for 2 days, the one in the ER for about 2 hours. While I was in there I had one of the shooting chest pains, and the monitor showed nothing wrong with my heart. I was diagnosed with reflux, prescribed prilosec, told to not eat certain foods, and to follow up with my regular doc. The med. worked very well, not many symptoms after eating once on the med., but couldnt change my diet too much at the time as I was out of state visiting relatives. Some things that should have bothered my stomach did not, cheeseburger, fries etc. Yet when I had a baked potato, I had to run to the bathroom within 20 min. to a half hour after eating it and had diarrhea. This is the 2nd time this has happened after eating a potato. I do go back to my doctor tomorrow as I just got home but wanted to know if anybody knows what would cause a slight full feeling very top of my abdomen that stays there for a long time after eating a small amount, this slight pressure can sometimes go straight through to my back. I read that this, and the chest pains I was having, can go along with a hiatal hernia. Also, can a person tell themselves if they have one? I had my gallbladder out years ago so this is not the problem. Thankyou for any help in advance of my trips to the doctor.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
(female)

tmgirl HB User

I had the scope down the throat and they found a small hiatal hernia. I have feeling of pressure when I breath under my left rib and I burp all the time. Prilosec does help with these symptoms, but unfortunately causes unwanted muscular and mood symptoms with me. I would definately have the upper scope test. It was not bad at all and I was really not looking forward to it, but glad I know what is causing my symptoms.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your reply. Do they do anything for a hernia such as surgery? I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow morning. I changed my diet completely and in one day that has helped alot, no more diarrhea, but that slight pressure or fullness is still there after I eat. That's why I'm wondering if that's what the problem is. It's very bothersome. And the med. says not to lay down for 3 hours after eating and that's hard for me because I get a back ache where i have arthritis sitting too long so I either starve and lay down, or eat and have to be up! I see an internal med. doc tomorrow so I am going to tell him about the fullness and where it's at so I can find out what it is. Thanks for your reply

Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again, I wasnt with it when I replied earlier, I wrote spleen and I believe it is the diaphram. Its a thin muscular organ shaped like a parachute that is between the chest cavity and comes down over the abdominal cavity. This is the organ I found out can go into spasm and mimic heart problems.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey443 View Post
Hi again, I wasnt with it when I replied earlier, I wrote spleen and I believe it is the diaphram. Its a thin muscular organ shaped like a parachute that is between the chest cavity and comes down over the abdominal cavity. This is the organ I found out can go into spasm and mimic heart problems.
lol dont worry,im never with it!!! this makes sense with me then,goin to look it up in a bit. good ole google!!! x

Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just got back from the internal med. doc. After looking over my numerous tests and asking me detailed questions and palpating my stomach where I seem to be touchy, he thinks I have a peptic ulcer, this never even occurred to me! It was up to me to decide weather or not I wanted to have an endoscope, as he is pretty sure that's what it is, I asked if I would be knocked out, he said yes, I said then yes I do. I looked up the symptoms of a peptic ulcer and was shocked, I have them all. Now all my symptoms make sense. I forgot about feeling pain or nausia when NOT eating, then feeling better when I did. And saw that its common to have problems at night when laying down, which I do. He put me on 2 doses of prilosec a day instead of one, and I can take maalox for discomfort in between. Atleast I have an answer that makes sense now.

Closed Thread