It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
First endoscopy (no hernia), today's (yes hernia)

I just came back from my endoscopy. The Dr. said that he found no food in my gut (Thank God), he found some water, and he found a small hiatus hernia. This last part bothers me. I had an endoscopy in January, and there was never a mention made of a hiatus/hiatial hernia. Could it be that it's so small that the first doctor bothered not to mention it. Or can it be that I've developed it since then? How could I have developed it since then? How can I keep it from getting bigger/wider/worse? I want to start working out again eventually, and I don't want to do any exercises (abs and chest) that are going to make the area worse? Any advice?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
Re: First endoscopy (no hernia), today's (yes hernia)

hi, i too have hiatus hernia,i only knew cause the nurse told me,the doctor never mentioned it until the second time i saw him!! probably cause it was small he think it doesnt matter but small ones can still cause symptoms.im very unwell with my one.do you have any symptoms ???? x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had a couple endoscopies and a hernia was never mentioned. In my case they were about 2-3 years apart. Between the first EGD and second, I'd done tons of coughing due to my reflux (and a bout of Pertussis). My theory is that all the coughing caused the hernia.

My GI doc said my hernia was a sliding hernia. Basically, it would move around some and might not have been present during my first EGD, if I had it then.

I got good hernia confirmation through a Modified Barioum Swallow/ Esophagram.

You might try researching sliding vs. rolling hernia's. Most people have the sliding variety. Somethings the hernia symptoms in that case even resolve themselves.

Most of the time, doctors just don't do anything about hernia's and they aren't anything to worry about. If you start getting bad symptoms, you could talk further with your doctor. Otherwise, it is just something they will probably monitor over time. If they get extremely bad, surgery could be an option, but it is rare for that to be suggested.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

I have found that it is so very important to Always get your copy of any and all Test Results at the place of where tests were performed. They are yours.
I have learned its best to have the Results Before your follow-up appointment.

My ole doc forgot to tell me about results that i should have been told.
Yes , i too have the hiatal hernia.
Seems for me it's best i not do any heavy lifting. I use to but no more.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Closed Thread