It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hernia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
(male)

timpitts HB User
Open inguinal hernia repair

i am having pain in groin area after open inguinal hernia surgery it was on the right side.i am 3 months post surgery.I am expereincing intense pain after i am out of bed for about 5 hours.The actual incission is still numb but it seems to be around that 5 hour range also.I am at a complete loss.Is it scar tissue that entrapped a nerve.I go to see my surgeon Jan.4th for the third time.I keep getting the same answer from my surgeon.Either give it more time or he will refer me to a anesthesiaologist to get a injection of a mixture of drugs but he wants me to make that call.I hope i gave you all the information that i know.The surgical procedure said i tolerated it well.Am i a slow healer,should i give it more time?Please someone help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
(male)

solarfried HB User
Re: Open inguinal hernia repair

Go to a different surgeon. Write down your complaints and symptoms and discuss them with a different doctor not related to one that did repair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
(male)

waswell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpitts View Post
i am having pain in groin area after open inguinal hernia surgery it was on the right side.i am 3 months post surgery.I am expereincing intense pain after i am out of bed for about 5 hours.The actual incission is still numb but it seems to be around that 5 hour range also.I am at a complete loss.Is it scar tissue that entrapped a nerve.I go to see my surgeon Jan.4th for the third time.I keep getting the same answer from my surgeon.Either give it more time or he will refer me to a anesthesiaologist to get a injection of a mixture of drugs but he wants me to make that call.I hope i gave you all the information that i know.The surgical procedure said i tolerated it well.Am i a slow healer,should i give it more time?Please someone help.
I don't know what the problem is,but I will go under the knife 30th Nov. for this.What kind of shot is he talking about a short time pain killer or what? Good Luck!!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Did your hernia repair involve any mesh or plugs? I've heard from a few individuals who had a lot of trouble with any kind of new material, as their body didn't seem to tolerate it well. If that isn't the case, it could certainly be nerve trouble and hopefully something that isn't too difficult to find relief with. I would start with calling your doctor to ask them about this, but I agree that if you don't feel comfortable with what they tell you, that a second opinion would be a good idea too. Perhaps they can take a look with an ultrasound to see if anything is visible to narrow down what it might be. I had open inguinal hernia repairs for hernias on both sides. After 3 months, I was definitely still tender, but not in extreme pain. It's been just over 2 years since my repair and I have slight numbness on one side at the surface, and some tenderness. It isn't bad, but more of a nuisance and something I have to be careful with. I also tend to feel that the muscles are kind of tight there and have to be careful with my workouts or I will cause some pain in the area. My surgeon told me (as well as other people I know with incisions in this area, whether it be from a C section, hernia repair, etc) that it's normal to have some numbness and tenderness for years, and sometimes it is never 100% back to normal. You definitely shouldn't have to go through as much pain as you are having though! Good luck and hope you get this figured out quickly.

Reply Reply